Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at an awesome 71 fj40 in great mechanical condition, (lift and the works) with a locker in the rear. But when you engage the clutch the transmission clunks, it does it regardless of good or bad shifting. It just seems like something in the drive train is loose and takes a second to engage. The previous owner says that it is just because he keeps the clutch high but I'm not sure whether to believe him or not. I really like this truck and want to buy it but I'd like to know whats going on.

My 78 does that too, I replaced and tightened mounts, and I think it's a collective slop in the transfer case output and rearend bearings, I'd like to know different though.

Check the motor and transmission mounts and see if the they are tight. Also Grab the driveshaft and see if it moves up and down. Could indicate bad pinion bearings.

samsonite said:
a locker in the rear.

I suspect you may have answered your own question right there.

Also, a worn out u-joint can manifest itself in the manner you described as well.

Either way, I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a rig that's otherwise in good shape.

samsonite said:
The previous owner says that it is just because he keeps the clutch high but I'm not sure whether to believe him or not.

I have no idea what this means, but it indicates that the PO is a bull**** artist. I would take anything else he says with a grain of salt or two.

The noise may be accumulated rotational slop in the drive line. Much of it may be due to the auto locker. Check how much you can rotate the driveshaft with the tranny in N and the parking brake off with the wheels chocked. If it rotates more than about 60 degrees, there may be excess wear in the diff. Make sure that there is only rotational motion in the driveshaft. Anything else is excess wear.

Pin_Head said:
I have no idea what this means, but it indicates that the PO is a bull**** artist. I would take anything else he says with a grain of salt or two.

X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom