Transmission/Transfer case problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to Land Cruisers and this site. I have recently puchased a 97 Cruiser and have come across a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

When reversing up an incline the vehicle will appear to jump out of gear and make a screeching noise. If I back slowly this doesn't happen, only when backing with some speed/torque.
Just out of curiosity I did this engaged in LOW gears. It doesn't seem to be a problem when in low gears.

My question is does this sound like a transmission or transfer case problem??
I'm leaning transfer case but am unfamiliar with Land Cruiser problem areas.
Anyone else encounter this?? Where do I go from here??

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Tim

Welcome to Mud:flipoff2: (friendly mud salute). Not the transmission expert but from reading other threads some years had some TSB's (technical service bulletins) to replace a few small parts in the valve body but IIRC those issues may have been fixed sometime before 1997 IIRC?? Others will chime in who know this better. Some people got some improvement by changing out all the old ATF IIRC. Try the search function transmission+reverse+slip or +shudder.

Last edited:
Apparently you have a 95-97. (Please always include the year and other pertinent info when asking advice.)

Welcome,

Curtis

I too just experienced this in my 95 - that I'm driving from WA to NC in 4 days! Anyone have an answer for the two of us? Will keep searching in the meantime.

This must be common as mine does this and I have read many other threads about this. The census seems to be just put it in 4low when reversing up an incline and dont worry about it. I have never experienced these symptoms while in 4low.

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom