'97 80 Trans Prob/Tweaks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I put the truck in reverse and give it some gas, a very bad, bad sound comes out of the trans and it shakes and vibrates terribly. So I went to the trans shop today and they said that its the splines slipping over each other on the shafts. They want to pull the trans out and look it over to generate a price to fix the problem. They gave me the worst case scenario, a trans from the dealer:crybaby:. After searching I have found some other areas to fix/improve the stock trans, like the pressure switch, and drop down cable. Are there any other Mods that I should recommend they perform? Anything with the torque converter that needs upgrading?

The truck is now a daily driver and weekend wheeler, camping and hunting truck. Still has the 315's and stock gears.... if that helps

That is relatively normal for these trannys. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but they just do that sometimes. Is it worse when backing uphill? If so, that is a classic symptom. If you search transmission reverse delay or something along those lines you will find quite a bit of info. The cliff notes version is that toyota did some periodic upgrades from 95-97 and some of the trannys are worse than others... The 35s don't help...

Good luck,

Dan

Really?? Is it a waste of money to have a rebuild of the trans completed, or would that fix the problem once and for all. I spoke with Christo at Slee and his advice was right on. He felt a local shop might not have the experience needed with this trans to do a top notch job. I called the first shop I had gone to and he couldn't tell me when they worked on one of these in the past. The second place has only done a few and one of them was for the same problem.

Really?? Is it a waste of money to have a rebuild of the trans completed, or would that fix the problem once and for all. I spoke with Christo at Slee and his advice was right on. He felt a local shop might not have the experience needed with this trans to do a top notch job. I called the first shop I had gone to and he couldn't tell me when they worked on one of these in the past. The second place has only done a few and one of them was for the same problem.

Depends on you really...

How bad is it? Can you live with it? It will likely be very expensive to rebuild the tranny. Is that cost worth it to you?

I lost my tranny last fall, and was able to pick up a low mileage unit for 1/4 the cost of a rebuild. My particular fault was so rare that the risk of it happening again on the used unit was very small.

This is not a symptom of the tranny about to grenade, so you could probably drive it like this for quite awhile. IIRC, if you go ahead with the rebuild and have the trans shop do all of the upgrades, it "should" fix the problem. However, there are a lot of folks on the board who have all of the upgrades straight from Toyota and still have the problem. I have a very late build 97 with all of the upgrades and mine still did it a little. My "new" tranny is a 96 with 90k and it does not do it.

FWIW,

Dan

Sorry for the late reply but must add my experience here guy's. I have a '97 that is smooth as butter. When I put it in reverse on an incline I experience this screeching noise as it slips out of reverse and bucks. I now put it in 4low anytime I am reversing on an incline and have not experienced these symptoms yet. Yes it sucks but n big deal putting it in 4low to solve the problem. Just my 2 cents

Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom