Transmission temp sensor install write up - A440F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I did some research initially about temp sensor installs on the A440F....but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Here is the install I did on my 80 series:

I pulled out the factory temp sensor (for the over-temp light) and found an adapter to work in this location.

The factory temp sensor thread is an M16x1.5, so I picked up an M16x1.5 to 1/8" NPT adapter. It turns out that it is really common for people to install LS motor aftermarket oil pressure sensors.....which coincidentally use the same threads, so they are readily available. I picked mine up from Amazon for $10.

The gauge I used was the Auto Meter 4357. This comes with an 1/8" NPT temp sender.

After getting it shipped to me, I found out that the adapter was a little too tall for the gauge that I ordered:

1582222512180.png

The hex portion of the adapter was also a little too big in diameter and was interfering with the factory fitting:
1582222586944.png

In order to make the adapter work, I had to grind down the end a bit, grind down the hex, and tap the NPT threads a little deeper. Final depth was .370" from the mounting surface. I put the factory O-ring on the new adapter. Those of you with fab skills could do a much cleaner job, i'm sure.

1582222698221.png

Final fitment:
1582222732095.png

Gauge in the cabin:

1582222781089.png

Total cost was about $75 for everything.

Thanks!
Moorguy

did you remove the factory sensor from the tranny line?
Yes, this replaces the factory sensor in the trans line. Also, the depth was ground down to .370" on the adapter, so that it matches the same depth as the original sensor. This means the reading is accurate, and doesn't interfere with fluid flow (any more than the OEM one).

so the tranny temp is no longer sent to the ECU, and instead goes to the guage? how come?
To my knowledge, the ECU does not do anything with this information. It just used to trip a the dummy overtemperature light.

Does anyone know if the ECU actually uses the trans temp sensor on the A440F?

To my knowledge, the ECU does not do anything with this information. It just used to trip a the dummy overtemperature light.

Does anyone know if the ECU actually uses the trans temp sensor on the A440F?

If it's actually an A440F, then it does nothing with it. That sensor is a temp switch and it only turns on a dash light.

The A442F on the other hand is electronically controlled and may have more involvement and a real temp sensor, Im not sure, haven't researched those much l.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom