Transmission Swap Possible in LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I have a 2001 LX470 with the 4 speed automatic. I do a lot of highway driving and would like to get a couple extra gears when the current transmission eventually decides it's time to retire. I wanted to see if anyone has put a different transmission in the 100 series landcruiser maybe a 6-speed automatic? From reading different older threads it sounds like while likely technically possible it has not been completed, but I have not seen an update post for some time on this subject. Has anyone successfully had a transmission swap or is everything on those rigs just too integrated?

I am also looking to give the rig a few extra ponies under the hood., not expecting the truck to win any speed records but a little boost to get it out of its own way. Was thinking to just build up the current 2uz engine and maybe go for a super or turbo, but if was to do an LS swap (which I know is very $$$ and I live in CA which makes things even more difficult) would that allow for a different tranny or am I still stuck with the 4 speed auto?

If I have missed a current thread that answers this question can you all please point me in that direction?

Anything is possible... With enough money. I've never seen something like this done before on one of these, and I can't imagine it's worth it.

the stock trans in these rigs will last the life of the rig easily
there was an issue with the trans, for a short run, but I can't remember which year had the issue.

if you want mileage, get a Camry or Prius

What’s your budget?
Not a real budget in mind at this point I know a new A343 tranny will cost about $2.5k in part cost alone and I would assume another $1k roughly for install. If I were to really go this route and get all the customization needed to fit a new 6 speed auto I would like it to be around $5k. But that might be a little low, just wanting to see if anyone has even done it and what it cost them. If I went the LS route I would assume that would be more around the $15k route which does make me shudder a little.

I have looked into this a little bit. With a Compushift transmission controller, you can bypass any computer issues. If it will bolt up you can probably get it to work with one of these. Go to their website and start reading. I am leaning towards a severe upgrade to my front end before I try the transmission.

Wholesale Automatics in Australia were working on an adapter bellhousing + compushift for the AB60 6 speed auto from the 200 series for the diesel 1HD-FTE in the 100. Don't know how far have they gotten with this, but it is not released yet...

Reactions: GTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom