Transmission Swap Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
4x4him.com
I am getting ready to replace the tired old 4 speed LC tranny in my '72 FJ40. I have been considering going to a SM465 or SM420, and I have a good spare 3 speed transfer case that I want to use. I'm sure either tranny will work good with my T/C but I do have questions for those of you who are using either of these trannies.
1. Will both trannies bolt up to the 3 speed bellhousing?
2. Can I use the mechanical shifter from a 4 speed T/C to replace the vacuum shifter on the 3 speed T/C?
3. If I choose to go with the AA adapter between the tranny and T-case, will the total length of the drive train require a CV joint drive shaft in the rear?

Background on truck:
Stock F engine
4 speed LC from '78 (currently)

Thanks in advance
Randy
[glow=red,2,300]4x4Him[/glow]

What 4 spd. is in you cruiser right now, a later model L/C 4 spd? I have had great luck with the SM465 and have never used the 420. I think the 420 is shorter, check with advanced adapters, you will probably need an adapter. I checked into changing over a 3 spd vacuum style to the 4 spd manual some years back and it wasn't cost effective to do it at the time. Things may be different now, but like I said at the time it was cheaper and easier to find a 4 speed T/C or NP205 if you are going to a SM 420 or 465.

I have been considering all of my options and I think that I will try to make my LC four speed work for a few more months. I eventually want to run a 350/400/Marlin Crawler combination in this truck so changing to an Chevy manual tranny right now just doesn't make sense. I don't know what I was thinking. :-/ I think that with some careful shifting I can get this tranny a few more miles down the road and trail. If all else fails I can push up the time line on the new drivetrain. :D My wife wont like it, :mad: but...........

Laterz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom