Transmission Problem in a FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser Jimmy

Threads
Here's the problem:
The trans has been acting weird lately for the past 6 days and it's finally come to a head. For the past 5 days the trans felt like it "released" the engine before it would upshift from 2nd to 3rd. By "released" I mean that the engine would rev say from 3500 rpms up to 4500 rpms before the trans would step into 3rd gear.

Well yesterday, the trans does not want to upshift to 3rd gear. I have to feather the gas to find 3rd, but that's only momentary.

At the same time I have checked reverse and found that I have to go to full throttle for reverse to kick in, otherwise I can go to 1/4 throttle before the rigs ever starts to move.

History of the Trans:
About three years ago the trans was rebuilt by a local tranny shop.

It over heated [A/T Oil Temp light] on 2 or 3 separate occasions after the rebuild and I replaced the fuild every time it over heated. Then I bought a tranny cooler from AutoZone and installed.

Not that this has anything to do with the trans operation, but the speedo cable broke last week the same time the trans started acting up. I just replaced the speedo cable last night.

Any thoughts or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

I would love to say to adjust the kick down cable and go, but sounds like yout rebuild is not holding up.
SOrry not a lot of help on this one.
Dave

As a fellow one time Hoosier, I'd like to say it's fine, just needs this or that. But this is a pretty bulletproof tranny and for it to a) need a rebuild, and b) now be acting up after showing immediate overheat issues after the rebuild I'd say you have some major internal problems. Your 4.0L engine doesn't even stress this box if you beat on it all day, so something's amiss.

If it were mine, and operating this badly, I'd drop the pan myself to see what's on the metal screen. Metal shavings or chunks - trash it and you've spent nothing but your time. Nothing but normal "metal dust" and I'd think about having it diagnosed by a quality shop.

I would also email Rodney at transmissions@optusnet.com.au to get his opinion. This guy knows the A442 tranny backward and forward, and also sells major components and rebuilds that are highly regarded. Respect his time and do a good honest job describing what's happened in its past and what it's doing now and you'll get some excellent and valuable advice. I'd love to have him tell you our dire forecasts are wrong and check this or that connection so let us know..

DougM

I guess this means you are not going to badlands this weekend. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Doug,
Thanks for the input. I've also posted this on the 3FE board and got some feedback on replies from Rodney in Assie. I'm going to drop the pan tonight.

IdahoDoug said:
As a fellow one time Hoosier, I'd like to say it's fine, just needs this or that. But this is a pretty bulletproof tranny and for it to a) need a rebuild, and b) now be acting up after showing immediate overheat issues after the rebuild I'd say you have some major internal problems. Your 4.0L engine doesn't even stress this box if you beat on it all day, so something's amiss.

If it were mine, and operating this badly, I'd drop the pan myself to see what's on the metal screen. Metal shavings or chunks - trash it and you've spent nothing but your time. Nothing but normal "metal dust" and I'd think about having it diagnosed by a quality shop.

I would also email Rodney at transmissions@optusnet.com.au to get his opinion. This guy knows the A442 tranny backward and forward, and also sells major components and rebuilds that are highly regarded. Respect his time and do a good honest job describing what's happened in its past and what it's doing now and you'll get some excellent and valuable advice. I'd love to have him tell you our dire forecasts are wrong and check this or that connection so let us know..

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom