Transmission noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully someone can provide some insight!

1983 FJ60, 2F, 4 SPD.

Transmission shifts into all gears perfectly and pulls hard. Clutch is nice and firm.

Problem: or this may be normal. Haven’t owned a stick in a hot minute. When I release the clutch in neutral I get a swirling contact noise. Almost sounds like the clutch is partially engaging or slightly making contact with the flywheel?

Master and slave are in good condition no leaks.

Normal.
What you’re hearing is all the big gears spinning around when in neutral with clutch out.
When clutch is pushed in, transmission is disengaged from the engine- so it doesn’t spin - and so is quiet.

Make sure the transmission (and transfer case) oil levels are full. Check the oil levels every couple months. Oil can migrate from one case to the other due to worn oil seal.

Normal.
What you’re hearing is all the big gears spinning around when in neutral with clutch out.
When clutch is pushed in, transmission is disengaged from the engine- so it doesn’t spin - and so is quiet.

Make sure the transmission (and transfer case) oil levels are full. Check the oil levels every couple months.
Sounds reasonable.

Fluid in the case is low and trans is high. Building a crossover for it this weekend until I can make time to rebuild it.

Are the 4 speeds rebuildable? At a decent cost? I know everyone goes to the H55 but looking to keep costs low and just drive it until the 2F goes.

Symptoms of a transmission going out can be as such:

1. Difficult to shift
2. Very noisy
3. Pops out of gear when under load
4. Shifts always grind

Those symptoms above usually slowly increase over the decades. You’ll have plenty of warning when the transmission is on its last leg. It won’t catastrophically fail and leave you stranded.
Even if it did start popping out of gear when under load - you can hold the stick shift lever in place to prevent it - (in an emergency).

Only source of 4 speed transmission parts is now aftermarket (I believe) and rebuilding a transmission is not something an inexperienced user should attempt. It requires special tools (and experience).

If you were to somehow get a 4 speed “rebuild kit” and take all the parts to an experienced mechanic or transmission shop - their labor charge + your parts would approach (or exceed) the cost of just buying a new H55F transmission.
And after they rebuilt it - it would still have used parts in it.

That’s why everyone buys the H55F 5 speed new when its time to replace the transmission (and most swaps only occur because of want, not need).

My suggestion:
Keep the oil levels at the correct levels and drive it another 200,000 miles.

Assuming you have to drop the trans to replace the throw out?

Yes, at that point, just do the entire clutch assembly and maybe the rear main seal and the input seal for the trans

Yes, no way around that. Most will also machine the flywheel, replace rear main seal, clutch plates, pilot bearing along with the throw out at the same time. Dropping the transmission can be a pain and might as well replace those other parts while doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom