Transmission Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...More of a sweat, but it is dripping. It appears that 55,000 miles and my transmission pan gasket is sweating. There are drips mostly from the front. Not happy. It isn't due for new oil till 60,000 miles, but I will be doing it next week with a new gasket.

I'm worried, should I be, or should it be ok?
Does anyone have access to the repair manual with details for drain and refill, and also part number for the gasket? I guess I can get it off the service site, but don't feel like shelling out $15 for the 48 hr use if someone could scan and send it to me. TIA.
Do I need to replace bolts too, or can I re-use?
Could this be something else, something more serious?
What could've caused this? Can't see old oil causing this, but maybe? I didn't hit anything, there is a massive skid over the transmission?
:bang:

Diagnosed the problem further.
Transmission oil pan gasket was fine.
It seems the leak was coming from the transmission oil cooler and/or thermostat. Couldn't tell, the two are bolted into the side of the transmission together, just above the front end of the oil pan. Replaced some O rings, not sure if it will fix it, but will see.

Still puzzled as to how these rings could fail? Strange leak. Hope its not a sign of something bigger?

The cooler is really a warmer. IMO, the way coolant is fed to it, and it's placement next to the exhaust down pipe, can create a situation where things like o-rings might not lead a long life. I would not worry about it, your trans will be happy with the fresh fluid.

hey chimz you think it could be from the weather? YES I know you are in canada but this year has been really brutal and brutal for a long time!! For us here in the north east we had stretches of zero or below zero temps so several days. I know you must have been a bit colder up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom