Transmission id? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anybody ID this transmission by these two pictures? It is a little bit of a travel for me to go look at it and basically I just want to make sure it's not a G58 out of an ADD truck if possible. I've been searching and I'll keep searching to see if I can find what the codes on the plate mean but if anybody in the mean time knows please chime in. The transmission I am looking at is said to have been removed from a 1991 pickup with a 22re engine. I have an 86 4Runner with an auto and I might buy this to replace the auto trans.
ToyIDplate.jpg

toytrans.jpg

Well unless I'm way off in left field a g58 comes with a chain driven transfer case and cannot be adapted to a gear drive. Maybe I misunderstood what I read on the subject. I plan on gearing a transfer case if I do a 5speed swap so a chain drive case won't do anything for me.

That looks like the transfer case that is in my 4Runner and it has been regeared. If it did come from a `91 22RE truck, then it should be a gear driven t-case. The transmission looks like a W56. That too, would match the `91 22RE truck. It could be either a W56-C or W56-D. Check the Marlin Crawler site.

Good Luck.

I looked at Marlins site for around 30 minutes (of course I got sidetracked by bumpers for a few minutes) and didn't find anything about the id plate. I also couldn't make a distinct recognition by any of the pics. I think ADD started in 1990 so this truck could very well be an ADD truck. I can't tell by the pics and the owner doesn't really seem to know very much at all about what they have. To me it does LOOK like a gear driven tcase, and I know that it looks completely different than the chain drive case behind my auto, but I have no idea what a chain drive behind a g58 looks like so I'm not sure. Manual transmissions kind of all look the same to me when it comes to Toyota so I have no idea there. With the shift boots on in the pic I can't even tell if it is forward shift or topshift.

Jerod, you got it backwards. 5 bolts for the chain driven case and 7 for the gear driven case. But, a picture is worth a 1000 words. So here are 2 of the T-case from my 4Runner and it is a gear driven case.
#23 It's Back Together.jpg
#24 T-case Rear Output.jpg

Jerod, you got it backwards. 5 bolts for the chain driven case and 7 for the gear driven case. But, a picture is worth a 1000 words. So here are 2 of the T-case from my 4Runner and it is a gear driven case.

Thanks Kev! Above post edited...... :p

I replaced my tranny in my 92 PU with 22re. It was a W56 and it was my understanding that w56's were used in the 91-95 years for the 22re 4x4. My donor came from a 94.

It is a forward shift T-case in the photo. But, that is easy to change.

Um, if that's a forward shift t-case in that pic, why is there a mounting base for the shifter ? :eek:

That's a top shift case :rolleyes:
A forward shift case has a block-off plate where the shifter mount is in that pic.

Um, if that's a forward shift t-case in that pic, why is there a mounting base for the shifter ? :eek:

That's a top shift case :rolleyes:
A forward shift case has a block-off plate where the shifter mount is in that pic.
i cant tell if there a block off plate or not.
but you are right about it if it is

If you look closely, you can see the flat spot at the back of the shifter boot. That is where a top shift shifter would be if it were a top shift transfer case. Also, notice how close the tranny shifter and the T-case shifter are to each other. That is a forward shift set up on the transmission/T-case.

That looks like a forward shifting and if that is the case then it isnt a W-56 tranny. that is probably a G series or the R-151F which would be a good deal.

I dont think you can get W-56 with the forward shifting tranny case there just isnt room. There is a flat spot with the block off plate on top and the shifters are to close together to be top shifting. I just went through all of this to replace the tranny in mine.

I dont think you can get W-56 with the forward shifting tranny case there just isnt room.

If you check the Marlin Crawler site, scroll half way down this page and you will see that the W56-C and W56-D have the shift tower for a forward shift set up.

If you check the Marlin Crawler site, scroll half way down this page and you will see that the W56-C and W56-D have the shift tower for a forward shift set up.

You are correct :doh: but what did they come in? I havent seen or heard of a stock truck coming with one of those. Is it some overseas awesome option that we cant have over here. :crybaby:

IIRC, all of the 22RE 4x4 trucks, up to 1995, had the gear driven T-case. I think that they also had the W series transmission. The V6 trucks used the R150 series transmission with the chain drive T-case. I think that what beatdown83fj60 is trying to avoid is a chain drive T-case for the automatic locking hubs. The T-case in the photo is a gear drive case. So, there is a good chance that this is a W56 series transmission. Even if it is not a W56, I would doubt that it came out of an ADD truck. But, I have been wrong before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom