Transmission fluid change... yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven’t messed with a tundra yet but have done the work on an 08 4Runner. It was similar.

If there’s no dipstick chances are it is the same. I bet tons of people have done this to their tundras and documented it online. I’d find a factory service manual to confirm.
I’m changing the fluid and filter on mine within a week. It’s one of the best ways to preserve the life of the transmission.
I agree with bloc. My Trooper, 4Runner, LX and some other vehicle I have personally serviced* service the basically the same way.

*I will edit with the vehicle in question when I remember. (Getting old is both beautiful and sucky at the same time.)

I’m a firm believer that servicing is hugely important. If you don’t get all the fluid out because of an imperfect technique your still miles ahead of not servicing the transmission. If you get the fluid level fairly close to correct and leave a quart of old fluid you’re still ahead. Watch some youtube and just do it...

My local Toyota dealer charges $140 labor to do the full 12 quart flush if you bring your own fluid. That’s a lot cheaper than a new transmission. Even if you have a stock vehicle and never tow I think you should flush all driveline fluids at least every 100k.

OEM fluid comes out dark on the first flush, but I’m not sure it’s because the fluid is that dirty of if it’s that Toyota puts grease or an additive in the transmission when assembling that just makes the fluid dark.

I’ve got a 2013 I’ve had since almost new in 2014. Dealers wife drove it for 10 months and put 10k on it before we bought it. Dealer services it’s whole life and I’ve only got 57k on the clock now. I just had mine changed at the dealer at 50k and it is shifting way smoooth. I plan on changing out the fluid at the dealer every 50k.

I had an opportunity to catch and analyze some transmission fluid after replacing the radiator on my 2011 LX at 138K due to "the crack". For science - here are the results - never been changed.

11 LX570-TR.jpg

By the time My LX 570 gets130,000 miles on it I will be 101 years old do you think I need to be concerned about transmission fluid change? I’m more concerned about the idiots working at the Lexus dealership screwing up my vehicle By not doing the fluid change correctly.

I changed the atf last November with 231,000 miles on the cruiser. I'm not an auto expert so I can't ascertain to the quality of the fluid. The fluid was very dark and smelled horrible. I followed the videos from Project 200 and someone on this board. I was a bit skeptical the "top-off" procedure would really work. Fortunately I estimated correctly to add about 2 cups extra so the top-off procedure would be confirmed. And yes, the top-off procedure works and it was easier than expected.

I'm very pleased the job is done and the tranny is shifting much more smother as a result. If you're gonna do it, prepare to make a mess like I did. Change the internal filter and gaskets while you're at it. I used Vavoline MaxLife Synthetic ATF (red bottle).

(This post is not intended to create controversy about what fluid to use. That discussion is outside my expertise.)

Did it with my modded 4Runner (also supposedly has 'lifetime' fluid) and it made a world of a difference.. so plan to do it in my 200 as well when the time comes.

The first interval is the most critical point as the old wives tails tell us once the fluid is too old (lower viscosity) and the transmission wears down enough with it, new fluid can cause problems.

My 08 with 201k on it. No history of transmission fluid. Easy peasy. Gonna don't it again (drain/fill) at my next oil change then call it. Fluid was very dark but figured it would since never done. Good luck

20200929_111853.jpg

My 08 with 201k on it. No history of transmission fluid. Easy peasy. Gonna don't it again (drain/fill) at my next oil change then call it. Fluid was very dark but figured it would since never done. Good luck

View attachment 2484393
Suggest a full exchange instead of repeated drain and fills.

My local Toyota dealer charges $140 labor to do the full 12 quart flush if you bring your own fluid. That’s a lot cheaper than a new transmission. Even if you have a stock vehicle and never tow I think you should flush all driveline fluids at least every 100k.

OEM fluid comes out dark on the first flush, but I’m not sure it’s because the fluid is that dirty of if it’s that Toyota puts grease or an additive in the transmission when assembling that just makes the fluid dark.

Which dealer in Chicago? I'm interested.

Which dealer in Chicago? I'm interested.
Bredemann in Park Ridge. I've been very happy with their services

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom