Transmission cooler circuit flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
EDIT: The very first page of the repair manual says to use ATF or kerosene for cleaning (just goes to show you should read the manual). So alcohol is probably not on the list...

I'm overhauling a 2000 LX450 A343F. Since the transmission has only one forward gear, and had been steadily degrading from slipping in all forward gears to non functional when parked, I'm hoping all I see is bare clutch disks and worn steels. I know I'm going to see at least that.

Anyway, I don't want to put a clean, working transmission and torque converter back in the truck, knowing the system is contaminated, so I'm planning to flush the cooler lines from/to the transmission, before I reinstall it.

I'm interested to hear what and how others have done this, before I go reinventing the wheel. I was planning to use a drill driven pump at one open end of the circuit, flushing the circuit with cleaner/solvent and then ATF to run that out. I don't want to use ATF to clean the system; it's too expensive. I haven't decided what to use yet, but I'm leaning towards alcohol.

If anyone has experience with a better plan, I'd like to hear from you.

Last edited:
Remove the exterior cooler and hoses off the vehicle and blow air in both directions: Do the same to the cooler inside the radiator. Then flush with some cheap ATF again in both directions. mount all back to the truck and connect all lines, then flush again with cheap ATF: Finally install an inline filter between the exterior cooler and transmission and run for 1000 mile and inspect the filter. Install another inline filter.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was trying to avoid. It's easier to say "remove the exterior cooler and hoses" than to actually do it. You have to remove nearly the entire front end to get at that stuff.

Just use the two oil cooler hoses on the backside of the radiator. You don’t have to remove anything except the skid plate

I was just saying because I've been there with a totally disintegrated transmission. Removing last bit of particles needs careful cleaning else, any residual metal particles can scratch the oil pump surface.

However you decide to clean, install an inline filter for first 200 or so miles and then remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom