Transfer output gear bushing install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
I have just replaced the bronze bushing in the low-range transfer output gear, using Toyota p/n 90999-73089. This bushing is shown in factory diagrams for the early (pre ~1985 I think) split case transfers, but not in later examples. Mine is a 1989 from behind a 3B / H55F.

I have pressed the bushing in so that it is flush with the edge of the chamfer on the side of the gear with the shift sleeve teeth:

20221005_201101.jpg

On the other side of the gear, the side with the thrust face that rides against the rear output shaft front bearing, the bushing appears to be oversized. I have knocked it in a touch to be sure that it will not ride on the bearing, but it come up past the cut-away sections in the thrust face lip:
20221005_201116.jpg

Now, the question - are these cutaway sections there to facilitate bearing removal, or are they to allow oil to flow through the bushing? If it's oil flow, Should I carefully grind away (with a carbide burr, not abrasives) the obstructing part of the bushing?

For those who are interested, this bushing needs to be reamed (not honed) to size after installation - that's the next job when an adjustable reamer turns up.

Thanks

EO

Yeah, I made the mistake.. I have an '87 FJ60 and it's one of the few areas where the parts diagrams were wrong. I ordered 90999-73089 and also found them to be too long. I don't specifically remember if they covered those two notches. But, I believe those notches need to be left open to allow oil to flow down to the shaft and bearings on either side.

I called Georg at Valley Hybrids and he immediately knew the issue and got me the right bushings which are narrower and fit properly. That PN is 90999-73079 which confusingly is listed as fitting LCs from 1976-1980.

I'm not 100% sure you're in the same situation, but it sounds like it and this was my fix...

Yeah, I made the mistake.. I have an '87 FJ60 and it's one of the few areas where the parts diagrams were wrong. I ordered 90999-73089 and also found them to be too long. I don't specifically remember if they covered those two notches. But, I believe those notches need to be left open to allow oil to flow down to the shaft and bearings on either side.

I called Georg at Valley Hybrids and he immediately knew the issue and got me the right bushings which are narrower and fit properly. That PN is 90999-73079 which confusingly is listed as fitting LCs from 1976-1980.

I'm not 100% sure you're in the same situation, but it sounds like it and this was my fix...
Thank you very much - that is exactly the situation I am in, it seems. To be fair, the part diagrams for my '89 don't show separate bushings at all, so I ordered at my own risk.

Out of interest, did you have to size -73079 with a reamer after installing?

From what I can see online, -73079 is still different from the bushing which came supplied with my new, genuine high range output gear:
20221006_055919.jpg

Right now, I'm thinking to carefully remove parts of the bushing that are obstructing the cut-outs in the gear, ream it and run it.

When I intstalled the bushing, I aligned the oil hole with a groove in the gear, but I now notice that the ends of the oil grooves on the bearing side do not match with the cutouts. But then they don't match on the new gear / bushing assebly pictured above.

End of the day, the bushing is not oil fed but sits in a (partial) oil bath - it also does not move when under load (i.e. when the transfer is in low-range), so I doubt oiling is all that critical. Having thought a bit more about it, I think the cutaways are actually to bring oil onto the machined thrust faces of the gear, rather than into the bushing.

Happy to be corrected by an engineer though!

Thanks again,

EO

Last edited:
How would you carefully remove any of that bushing? I thought it might be possible to put it in a lathe and turn it down to the right length, but new correct bushings are not that expensive, so easier.

I had a machine shop press mine in and hone them to fit as they were already doing some other work for me.. I'm not sure that he paid any attention to orientation, so we'll see how long the last.

How would you carefully remove any of that bushing? I thought it might be possible to put it in a lathe and turn it down to the right length, but new correct bushings are not that expensive, so easier.

I had a machine shop press mine in and hone them to fit as they were already doing some other work for me.. I'm not sure that he paid any attention to orientation, so we'll see how long the last.
I don't think orientation is an issue - I have been looking at online pictures of new low-range transfer gears 36204-60080 and the replacement -60110, both genuine and aftermarket options and they don't seem to have a uniform orientation of installation. I matched my oil hole with the groove in the gear, so I'm happy. As I said, I don't think oiling is so critical here like on a camshaft or piston pin, otherwise there would be oil feed holes as there are for the bushed 3rd gear in an H55F/H4x transmission.

I plan to take some of the material off the busing very carefully with a die grinder, clean the edge with a file and perhaps put a slight chamfer on the rest of the bushing before reaming the thing out to a snug fit on the output shaft. I would not trust machine shops where I live to do anything more than brake disc skimming so prefer to do it myself. The way I see it, I have more contact area between bearing and shaft, more resistance to the gear rocking on the shaft and hopefully a larger oil film.

This gear will spend 99.9% of its working life idling on the shaft, where the gear will be turning with the propeller shaft's rotation of movement, while the shaft in the bushing will be turning in the same direction but faster. I really can't see oil flow being a problem.

Interestingly, my old low-range gear bushing was totally black and looked almost corroded away to the point where it is hard to see the grooves any longer. It came out with the shaft when I knocked it out of the gear/bearing.

If only Toyota had used needle roller bearings on the shaft, as they did for 60s with auto boxes!

Thanks

EO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom