Transfer case shifting question??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1971 FJ40 with a 700r4 and the original 3-speed transfer case. I am using the advance adapters kit.

Does anyone have this set up? I am wondering the proper way to shift this from L-N-H range. I have to kill the engine to shift it otherwise it just grinds....

Thanks!

Mike
1971 FJ40
350 Speed Density TPI
700r4

Howdy! With this setup you will need tostop the vehicle, put the automatic in neutral, then shift the transfer case. You may need to let the rig roll just a bit to sync the gears. John

Thanks

I am also using the AA twin stick shifter. It seems to go into Low range when I put the tranny in Neutral. I can then shift the TC back to neutral and the tranny back to neutral, but then the TC won't go into high or low unless I kill the engine. As I am attempt to shift to H or L, it just grinds.

Have you tried putting the transmission in Park before you shift the transfer case? That will absolutely stop the transmission output shaft from rotating at all.

That is what I was thinking also... that putting it in park should work. I think I've tried that and it was still doing the grinding. I will try it again tomorrow. Once I kill the engine and shift it, it works fine...

Mike
1971 FJ40, 350 Speed Density TPI, 700r4, Saginaw PS, PB, 33' Pro Comp MT's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom