transfer case grinds in low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to sort out the cause of a grinding noise from my transfer case in my 87fj60. It happens only in low range, while in high-torque situations. I've replaced the two broken engine mounts, and the broken transmission mount. These repairs have been a help, but have not addressed the transfer grinding.

Also, it used to pop out of 4H, but after adjusting the linkage (from below - needed 3 full turns to stay in gear) it now stays in 4H just fine.

The truck has 265,000 miles, and I've only had it for the past 25,000, so I've no clue as to repair history.

Any thoughts as to what to do next? (Other than drink another Guiness and ponder?)

Thanks!

Doug Graham

Mines made a grinding sound. Once :flipoff2:

The easiest and safest way to change the Transfercase gear is whilst stationary and the Gearbox in Neutral and your foot off the Clutch. - Slight drive due to a Viscouse coupling. :-*

i cant imagine what little 90wt that resides around the gearbox input would be enough to even drive a single output gear at more than 1 rev per millenia.

What kind of grinding is it. Apparently there exists a few types, one of which comes standard from factory on half of the full-time 80series produced. At low speeds it grinds away quite happily, but was not deemed to be a problem by toyota, and never eventuated into anything. Other than pulling the box to look for funny wear and bits floating round inside, you might just wanto make sure that it has enough oil, not too much metal comes out when drained.

Sam

It still sounds like a linkage or nose cone issue. Depends on where the grinding is comming from. Under torque the ft shift fork wants to move back and grind on the shift gear. Will it do it in 4HI even under torque? I would try to adjust tht linkage a bit more in the same direction and see if that helps. Only other thing it can be is the low rage gear set

David,

Thanks for the quick response. Makes sense to adj the linkage one more turn and see what happens. Question though...you mentioned that it could be linkage or nose cone issue...I understand the linkage, but don't know how the nose cone works/functions. While I'm under there, should I do something to the nose cone? I'm learning as I go, so hope this isn't too dumb a question.

Hope labor day is fruitful.

Doug Graham

2 things going on here. The hi/low and the 2wd/4wd. Hi/low is when the drive gear engages either the hi or low gear. This is controlled by the main hi/low shift fork that rides on the top back of the case more or less directly above the output shaft. This usually either works or not. SOunds like yours works. The 2wd/4wd is controlled in the nose. There is a shift fork that slides back (2wd) or is moved forward (4wd) to engage the ft shaft. The shift fork moves a splined cylinder along the shaft. Usually the grinding is the cylinder is not moving far enough forward to hold the ft shaft in place or it is the cylinder pulling back under torque due to short linkage or bad mounts. One thing to do is to get it in 4w low and disconnect the nose linkage then see if you can get it to grind. It could also be the low range drive gear with broken teeth or crap in the bottom of the case hitting the gear as it revolves.

Thanks David! (nm)

nm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom