Transfer Case Differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious, would the transfer case off of an 87 HJ60 be swappable with a transfer case off of an 85 BJ60?

Or am I looking at a lot of extra work?

Thanks.

Adam

now the question is are you planning on swapping the gear sets or the complete t/case?
i forget right now what year it was but ht eidler shaft is thicker in the later models in that case you would need to swap the entire case.
as noted before, the 85 is vacummn as well as the 87 so that should be no problem (once again i am making hte assuption you are in NA...)
cheers

supposedly 4/85 is the cut off for the 34mm idler. If i grab a whole case out of say an 86 with the 38mm idler it will bolt up right? Is there any reason to upgrade?

What I'm wondering is what the simplest route to take would be.

I was planning on swapping the entire transfer case. Haven't accurately diagnosed if the T/C is my problem yet. Grinding sound when shifting into 4WD. 2WD is fine. I have read (possibly from you even) that it could be the front driveshaft u-joint. And just today I read the other thread which discusses the "spring detent" which could cause this sound. Actually, I believe this might be the problem in my '82 42. When I look into the transfer case, I can see where the engage/disengage arm does not sit properly in its place. I have been too chicken to pull it apart to see what is going on, so i have just avoided shifting into low4wd of late.

This board is amazing

Yup, I'm in Ontario.

Adam

One thing I'll mention is to clean up the linkage assembly. I was having a HARD time getting into 4LO (like getting out of the truck and using 2 hands). 4HI was fine. In Moab I was having real difficulty shifting into 2 hi coming off a trail one day. The next day I could not for the life of me get it into 4. Great the event hadn't even started and my t case is shot. Treeroot I think recommended to grease the shifter nipple. So what I did was take the shifter linkage apart (almost) degreased everything and cleaned it. Then I doused it with a can of WD. My shifter now shifts into all gears very smoothly and it's been a few months of wheeling. Anyway it could be something simple like this. HTH

Thanks for the suggestion.

This could be the problem on my 85 especially since it is a vacuum actuated shift (maybe there just isn't enough vacuum to get the shifter fully into position.

I will check this out.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom