Transfer Case Cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, I'm thinking about doing a TC regear, and my plan is to buy a used TC and regear it, install it, and then sell my original TC. My thinking is that I want to avoid downtime on my truck and this way I can take my time and still have my truck available to go get parts/tools/etc. during the job.

Any idea what I should expect to pay for a used TC? There is a used transmission/TC combo for sale locally for $650, which seems quite reasonable. I'd actually rather just get a TC, though, as I don't have the space (or a pickup, lift, etc.) to be dealing with a trans, too.

Please share your thoughts about price, my proposed plan, etc. Thanks.

I have regeared a handful of cases doing this method. I bought my spare case from a buddy for $200. I would expect to pay between 200-400 for a working t case nowadays.

I was quoted $350 for a good, relatively low miles used t-case two months ago.

I bought a ~140k mile '97 TC for $250. Found it on car-part.com at a Gundies Auto Recycling location. Already pulled, dropped off at my tailgate.

(For the record, the problem turned out to be a bearing race mix-up when I did my part-time conversion. These transfer cases are bulletproof, but not idiot-proof)

I bought a ~140k mile '97 TC for $250. Found it on car-part.com at a Gundies Auto Recycling location. Already pulled, dropped off at my tailgate.

(For the record, the problem turned out to be a bearing race mix-up when I did my part-time conversion. These transfer cases are bulletproof, but not idiot-proof)
Thanks, that's very helpful. There are several good options in my area for a TC around $250 on car-part.com. Much appreciated. :cheers:

Incidentally, you didn't list your year. The transfer cases are interchangeable, but in '95 (I think), they added a cube-shaped weight that is presumably to eliminate some noise or vibration. I had to cut off the ear that supports the weight to fit it to my '94. It interferes with the routing of the exhaust otherwise. No big deal, I used my band saw, but a hacksaw would work fine.

Incidentally, you didn't list your year. The transfer cases are interchangeable, but in '95 (I think), they added a cube-shaped weight that is presumably to eliminate some noise or vibration. I had to cut off the ear that supports the weight to fit it to my '94. It interferes with the routing of the exhaust otherwise. No big deal, I used my band saw, but a hacksaw would work fine.
Roger that. Mine is a 1996, it's in my sig. That noise isolator you mention rubbed against my OPOR sliders, and I removed it. When I looked on car-parts.com I put in that I was looking for a 1997, and a bunch of 1996 and 1997 TC's came up. I'm going to go with one of those and just remove the isolator itself. That ear you had to cut off must not interfere with my set up, as I didn't really notice it when I was removing the isolator.
I appreciate you following up with me, thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom