Tranny noise in first gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 93 has a loud noise when the tranny is running in first gear. It whines or whirls and the noise stops when it shifts into second gear. The rig has 240 k on the clock and I don't know what kind of repair work or maint. has been done on the tranny. Also, I just did a front axle rebuild, birfs, all bearings, new inner axles, new spider and side gears and bearings in differential... Everything replaced except the ring and pinion which looked very good. i did the rebuild because of a really bad whine in the front end. The whine from the axle has lessened, but is still there. Any ideas on either of these?

My '93 did this from the day I bought it in '93. I asked someone on the LandCruiser engineering team about it and was told that since it's basically a city bus transmission (93/94 models) 1st gear is a straight cut gear for toughness. Mine makes a machined gear sound until shifting into 2nd, so I'd call it normal.

On the other whine, I'd guess it's actually your center differential, which normally makes a whine. Somewhere in late '93/early 94 production Toyota added an extra sound insulation piece because of this. Mine does not have the added piece and it normally makes a slight whine at certain speeds/RPMs/engine loads.

DougM

IdahoDoug- very curious about this one: how did you manage to get hold of someone on the Landcruiser engineering team? Please fill us in...

Thought I mentioned it when I joined the board. I used to work for Toyota's US Headquarters in Torrance, CA. I was the Lexus Product Planner, one of the resident car nuts and an all round car guy. Before the Lexus Division had a name, my office was with the Toyota Product Planners and they were a great bunch of people. We'd occasionally go wheeling as a department, and the truck planners were buddies. Twice a year, we'd host the Japanese counterparts in week long meetings to talk about upcoming products in person instead of the usual flurry of faxes, and that's where I met the Chief Engineer for the LandCruiser, among other product lines. Extremely powerful guy in an engineering driven company like Toyota.

I also knew several engineers in the Tech Center. If you've ever wondered about the people that produced your vehicle, they're terrific folks you'd enjoy sharing a campfire with. I've also worked in a similar capacity for GM HQ and can draw contrasts to that experience (campfire, what's that??).

Rgds,

DougM

IdahoDoug- It never ceases to amaze me the level of expertise and experience we have on this board. I guess I must've missed it when you posted about your experience! Maybe you can help settle the tranny debate for us- do you have any idea why Toyota switched from the A442 tranny to the A343 in 95, and ONLY in the US models (Aussie 80s kept the A442, even in the early 100s)? Some ideas that have been thrown around are to keep the price at the same level, to keep weight under control with the addition of airbags, or to make the vehicle fully OBD-II compliant.

The 1st gear noise in 93 80's is pretty much normal. Search the SOR archive, I posted the field fix and part numbers there. In a nutshell the transfercase lever mounting boss is right on top of the planetary gearset and the lever transmits the planetary noise into the cabin.

That noise is part of the reason for the switch to the 343. The 343 is also lighter and the 95 was put on a diet to loose a few pounds, it also lost the 8th seatbelt and some factory accesories to slim down. (THANK YOU EPA :flipoff2: )
D-

The 343 is smoother and lighter and US consumers will tolerate less noise, vibration and harshness than other countries where the Cruiser is bought for its toughness. Here, people buy it because it's the most expensive or most luxurious so noise was an issue. I wouldn't fix that noise and anybody who does is a sissy! It's part of the 80s personality.

DougM

cruiserdan,
I think all the turkey this weekend has effected my ability to get the proper search answers from SOR. Any more clues as to how to get the past post. Thanks for the help.

Thanks agian Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom