Tranny jumping out of 4th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Just bought a 92 Toyota Std Cab 4x4, 156k miles. When I took it for a test drive, never once did this. Granted, I test drove it under 10 miles but it never slipped out. When I took it home today (50 miles trip) it would slip out of 4th gear right after I would shift into it. If I held the shifter in 4th i.e. did not let me hand off and then accelerated, no slipping out. It does not slip out all of the time (I started making note of it) but certainly there is an issue. Does not do it in any other gear. As well, I do notice that the 4th gear is a bit less certain i.e. no positive entry into the gear versus all of the other gears. I would not call it slop but rather an issue of engagement or throw.

Any ideas? If it is an internal issue, are these trannies worth rebuilding i.e. I know that a H42 on a 40 is pretty much not and most try and find another used one to install.

Thanks guys.

I had what I would say is the same problem with 3rd gear in my 1989. I was pulling a large trailer up an overpass and trying to accelerate and I think that I did not get the trans. all the way in gear. It popped and that was that, I could hold it in gear, but could not always get it in gear. Anyway, took it to my mechanic and he had it fixed in about 3-4 hours, and best of all it was not that expensive. I think 200-300 +/-, it's been 10 years or so ago! It was some small piece on top of the trans.

I miss that truck, and to think I sold it for a Dodge.

Scott

change the transmission gear oil... i had the same problem with a truck yesterday... or it may be the shift detaunts going bad (if the trans is going out on you ive got a 2x2 and a 4x4 trans that i would part with)

Thanks guys. What are the shift detaunts? Are they accessible from the top i.e. without pulling the tranny?

PM'd you about the tranny.

I think that is what was wrong w/mine and I believe he did say you got to it from the top. If it is just popping out of that one gear you should be in good shape.

Scott

shift detents is a steel ball with a spring behind it that pops into a grove on the shift rod. you could have a broken spring. look in a shop manual (haynes should do) no how to disasamble the top cover the top most part of the transmission

Fixed!!!!

The shifter seat was completely disintegrated. I read on another site about the NUMEROUS complaints about the Toy 5 speed popping out of gear and most ALWAYS, the cause was not a faulty tranny but a disintegrated shifter seat. I purchased a new Toyota seat/bushing but I also found out that Marlin Crawler makes a heavy duty replacement seat as well.

Took me a total of 1 hour to complete the fix, well actually less because that included new plugs ( :

Just wanted to post a conclusion in case anybody else ever has this issue. Really makes me pissed considering a tranny shop stated that the issue could not be resolved without taking the tranny out.

Juke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom