tranny help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning my AT started sliping and would'nt go back into drive unless i tuned it off for a few seconds. Then it would drive about a mile and do the same.I finally made it home. Now i'm no expert but it sure sounds like its time for a new one. Any suggestions would be well appreciated. I already checked a/t oil level, replaced kickdown cable,and cleaned a/t filter:wrench::confused:

Does it make any odd sounds? How does it act when you have the selector in 3? R? Could it be that the linkage from the selector is out of adjustment? How does the fluid look/smell? Did it come on suddenly, or has it been getting worse over time? Any drips? What servicing has the truck had recently? Was there any debris when you cleaned the strainer?

I don't want to be an ass, but are you sure about the ATF level? I know I've had a hard time picking out the level on the dipstick at times.

oil level was full and new. And yes it started making a winding noise two or three days before

Well, lets see what the FSM says:

For "vehicle doesn't move in any forward or reverse range"

Manual linkage out of adjustment
valve body or primary regulator faulty
parking pawl faulty (doesn't fit for your symptoms)
torque convertor faulty
convertor drive plate broken (doubt it would work at all then)
oil pump strainer blocked
transmission faulty

For "slips on upshifts or slips and shudders on acceleration"

Manual linkage out of adjustment
Throttle cable out of adjustment
valve body faulty
transmission faulty

Those are the 2 detailed "problems" that seem to fit with what you've described.
I would check to ensure the linkage from the selector lever is adjusted right (push the thumb button and find drive by feel rather than the detents in the shifter lever, does this make the tranny behave properly). You said the kick down cable was changed, when was this done relative to the onset of symptoms? Is it adjusted nice and tight? How have the shift points been since it was changed?
Other than these ideas, the only other thing I know of that you can do short of tearing into the tranny is the "party trick" governor flush, but a poorly behaving governor would effect the timing of the shifts, not engagement as far as I know.

Hopefully you'll get some more feedback from others tomorrow.....

Have you had temperature issues with it before? The ATF temp warning light comes on at a fairly high temp, so if you've seen it light up more than a couple times, it is quite likely the tranny has been compromised.

not sure if this applies to a toyo AT. but i had similar problem on a ford f150 i had. turned out the trans filter had dropped out of the valve body thus poor fluid intake. put a new filter in made sure the thing was snug and all was well again.just a simple thought. good luck

Last edited:
Milage????

Thanks alot for your help.I've already cheked most of the things you suggested,today i'm going to drop the pan to see what the filter looks like.

I got 300,000 but the guy i bougt it from rebuilt the tranny and its got about 30,000 since. I started having shifting problems shortly after buying it and thanks to ih8mud found a bad kick down cable,replacd it and it ran like new.

I got 300,000 but the guy i bougt it from rebuilt the tranny and its got about 30,000 since. I started having shifting problems shortly after buying it and thanks to ih8mud found a bad kick down cable,replacd it and it ran like new.
These trannys are tough as nails if the fluid/filter kept clean and cool

One time on a long drive my temp lite went on about 3 miles before reaching my destination. When I drove back it was fine,then i checked my ATF and it smelled burnt.So i drained and cleaned the filter and it was fine until now. Never really knew why the tranny was running hot that day.

One time on a long drive my temp lite went on about 3 miles before reaching my destination. When I drove back it was fine,then i checked my ATF and it smelled burnt.So i drained and cleaned the filter and it was fine until now. Never really knew why the tranny was running hot that day.
Question....who rebuilt the tranny you know?

the same guy i got it from.Dont know that he was that grate of a tranny mechanic.

Today i drove around the block . when i got in my drive way i noticed it was leaking ATF. It looked like it was coming from the transfer case but i couldnt tell. So i removed the skid plates and wiped it clean. I turned the truck back on and shifted back and forth but couldn't get it to leak any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom