Tranny fluid level-fj62-and new pix! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did the Rodney flush a while back but since my truck has been gone getting body work done, I really haven't driven it since. I measured the fluid I got out during the flush and put about the same amount back in, but checking the levels now I'm getting almost no reading on the stick when 'hot', and a 'hot' reading on the stick after it's been sitting.
It's shifting fine, I would say perfectly. Do I just keep adding fluid until I get the proper 'hot' reading when 'hot'?

Thanks guys. Here's some updated pix of the truck. I had the quarter panels replaced.

NYNick
cars 012.jpg
cars 016.jpg
cars 019.jpg

58 views and no advice?

From the FSM...

Get engine and transmission to operating temp (158-176 F)
Park vehicle on level surface and set parking brake
With engine idling, shift into all positions from P through L and return to P position.
Pull dipstick, wipe clean
put dipstick fully back into tube
pull it out and check that fluid level is in hot range
if level is at the low side, add fluid
CAUTION: do not overfill.

Start engine, go make wild passionate love to better half(This is number one)
come back run it thought the gears, while doing all of this make sure its got the parking brake on.
Put it in nuetral
go eat pizza
come back and check fluid level
Do number one all over again.

LOL...thanks...have FSM, did everything per the manual; left out the mad passionate love(I wish!) and the pizza, still not getting any reading.

I guess I'll just keep adding fluid.

Nick

Yes, fill it until it registers correctly on the stick. I know these are persnickety and need a very specific fluid level, but they can also be quite low and still shift well. But, as others have noted (pizza and stuff) make sure it's actually hot.

On the other hand quarter panels look great! If it takes alot before you get a reading (more than a half quart) then re post. I can't think of why it would be not reading correct unless there was a miscalculation somewhere. Any chance some could be getting into your Tcase? Or does that just work the other way around?

Kept adding, adding, adding 1/2 quart at a time until I got the correct reading. I can only think it was low BEFORE I did my flush, and therefore I only added enough to bring it back to it's low level again.
Took 2 1/2 quarts to get it right...but oh, how smoothly she shifts now! This baby moves! I had it up to 80+ the other day no problem! I'm gonna do a zero-60 time just for giggles to see what I've got. That new exhaust has really freed her up.

I'm almost done!

Stand by fellas, minor medical issue to deal with...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom