Trails out and around DFW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recently moved out to the metroplex.

Are there any trails within 2-3 hours drive of DFW? I've seen the pay to play parks.

Thanks in advance,
MK
I only know of the Northwest OHV Park in Bridegeport. Northwest OHV Park | Bridgeport, TX - Official Website I have been a couple of times and really enjoyed it. But it is a pay-to-play as you put it. I would like to know where there are some trails myself. Any input would be great!

Depending on where you are in the metroplex... Clayton is about 2.5 hours from me. There's now a few parks in that area and it's some of the best wheeling you'll find.
I don't know if you're from out of state, but there's basically no public land in Texas. Most wheeling here is going to be in parks.

Thanks guys, yes out of state.

I was hoping to find some unmaintained country roads, nothing crazy.

Texas has better roads than anyplace else I've ever lived. Even the unpaved county roads are generally graded and maintained on a regular basis.

Big Bend National Park offers some great wheeling but it is nearly as far a Colorado. Oklahoma and Arkansas offer great wheeling and it is worth the drive. Probably the closest mountain-like wheeling to DFW.

sorry to disagree with the previous poster, chupacabra, but in my opinion, Texas is one of the worst places in the USA, and undoubtedly the worst place west of the Mississippi to find off road trails. The problem is that we have no Federal Lands. It is the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) lands in the western states that make those states so rich in primitive, pristine, beautiful off roading experiences, both the canned park park experiences that you find in Moab, and the wilderness experiences you find on BLM land in Utah, New Mexico, Colorada, Arizona, Wyoming, and just about every other state in the Western USA. Of all the things I can think about Texas, my biggest complaint is that we have no federal lands to explore. we have a few of those canned off road parks, both private and public and that is it! Big Bend Ranch State Park is about as good as it gets in this state, as far as wilderness off roading, and even they kind of ruin it by providing picnic tables at the campsites. Who an't bring their own table????

sorry to disagree with the previous poster, chupacabra, but in my opinion, Texas is one of the worst places in the USA, and undoubtedly the worst place west of the Mississippi to find off road trails. The problem is that we have no Federal Lands. It is the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) lands in the western states that make those states so rich in primitive, pristine, beautiful off roading experiences, both the canned park park experiences that you find in Moab, and the wilderness experiences you find on BLM land in Utah, New Mexico, Colorada, Arizona, Wyoming, and just about every other state in the Western USA. Of all the things I can think about Texas, my biggest complaint is that we have no federal lands to explore. we have a few of those canned off road parks, both private and public and that is it! Big Bend Ranch State Park is about as good as it gets in this state, as far as wilderness off roading, and even they kind of ruin it by providing picnic tables at the campsites. Who an't bring their own table????

Chris, Chupacabra was talking about the quality of the paved roads. In that category, Texas is tops. Our roads have always been some of the best in the country because the state is relatively wealthy compared to most. As far as places to go wheeling, you are absolutely correct, Texas doesn't compare to almost any state to the west. The reason is that nearly all Texas land is privately owned. If we could gain access to that land, there are many places in the hill country that would rate as top class. Texas is a huge state and there are many superb places to wheel your vehicle. The problem is that only the land owners and their friends and family get to go there.

Chris, Chupacabra was talking about the quality of the paved roads.

Yes, I was.

I agree with both of you on the lack of public lands for off-road trails. I drive my 40 west to Colorado or Utah every year for wheeling; or rather I did until I had to take care of my dad. Texas still has enough going for it otherwise that it is our choice to live and have a business here - and I have lived all over the western U.S., including Alaska, Colorado and Utah.

It is pretty bizarre that in a state this large we weren't able to keep more acres available to the public. Even the small states around us were able to do that.

The problem in N Texas (and all of Texas IMO) is there are no public/forest service lands. You will find 100s of miles of forest service roads w/ free public access about 3 hours NE of DFW, inside the Ouachita national forest. Head to Broken Bow Oklahoma. Make it an overnight trip and car / tent camp at Beaver's Bend public camping @ the lake. Nice facilities. Light wheeling and clear streams for throwing rocks, catching crawdads etc. w/ the kids. Stop at any gas station near Hochatown and ask for a free US forest service logging road map. Logging roads and clear cut areas will be marked. Just don't drive around any closed forest service barriers (white bar gates) or you will give us all a bad name if you get caught. EZ does it. Watch out for the side-by-sides driven by 12 yr olds in blind curves.
If you are up for a two night trip, then you need to head about 1.5 hrs NE of Beaver's Bend and enter Arkansas. Wolf Pen Gap. It is the best and worth the drive IMO if you can get away from your metroplex life for a long weekend w. the kids. I grew up in Mena (Wolf Pen Gap) before it was made into a formal FS public lands area and can tell you a few of my fav primitive camping spots over PM. May not be as scenic as Big Bend but it is less than 1/2 the distance away from DFW.

TexasJack,

Sorry for the 1 week delay... I usually am better at responding :) I am in AR this week on vacation :)

1) Oklahoma - Three Rivers Wildlife Mgmt Area - 3-4 hr drive from DFW

Great spots in Oklahoma which are about 1.5 hour closer to DFW than the ones I know in AR. From McKinney, go through Paris, TX. Arrive in Broken Bow OK. (about a 3-4 hr drive). Stop at the Ouachita forest ranger office located @ 2000 N Park Dr, Broken Bow, OK 74728 . The head north of Hochatown, OK for the Wlidlife Mgmt area. Call ahead for hours and available maps. They will know the active and recent logging cuts also and great wildlife viewing/creeks/off the map camping spots. (580) 584-3351.

I recommend Three Rivers Wildlife Management area. You can get a use permit good for 1 year for about $60 at the ranger office or also at the WalMart in Broken Bow in the sporting goods / rifle section if you arrive when FS office is closed. General overview and what to expect at the three rivers wildlife area:

Wildlife Management Area Profile for Three Rivers

Here are some good maps

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/wma/threeriversmap.pdf

Check out / primitive camp off of Cedar Creek Trail near the water crossings. There are several turn-offs where you can find some cleared spaces for tent near the creeks (several creek crossings). Also check out Signal Mountain for some light wheeling and very rewarding views of the wildlife MGMT area.

If you would like to cabin camp, there are a lot of low priced private cabins in wooded settings, and also some trailer w/ power spots at Beavers Bend use area on the Lake.

Much appreciated! I look forward to checking these areas out soon!

Wolf pen gap (and Shady) area...

2.1.good.Capture.jpg

2.1.good.IMG_7913.1.jpg

2.1.good.IMG_7915.jpg

2.1.good.IMG_7924.jpg

Last edited:
...best place on earth to teach 14 year old how to drive :)

2.1.good.IMG_7934.jpg

There is an event October 13-16 at Hot Springs Off Road park that you should absolutely attend. The time of year is perfect with leaves changing and cool weather. The park itself offers everything you would want from bone stock trails on up.
The best part is the people you meet. It is hosted by the Mississippi chapter - Cotton Land Cruisers, some of the best people you will meet.

Plenty of camping in the park and adjacent areas (KOA down the street.)

Check out the post for Southern Cruiser Crawl.....

For the benefit of the group, I had sent the following to to carson over PM for some spots in Arkansas:

Hey Carson!

I have been canoeing in Caddo Gap... it is AWESOME in the spring. But I haven't been to Ozark. Growing up we played them in foot ball, so they are all similar. The spots I know the best are the Wolf Pen Gap and Shady areas in Polk County.

upload_2016-9-15_9-48-26-png.1321921

The Cossotot river runs through Wolf Pen gap / Shady area in Arkansas and the head waters of it are +75% wilderness area so it is pristine. There are lots of great primitive camping spots there by the river, and many old logging roads and light wheeling opportunities. There are also some cabins for rent in the area... I haven't ever stayed at any because we stay at Grandparents when I take the kids out there... and take grandpa's 4 wheeler out on the trails at wolf pen gap. Once We did take my buddies built rig out there and he was in love with it immediately. He is a transplant to DFW from new Hampshire (where many public lands) and he thought Wolf Pen gap was very much like new Hampshire. There are a couple of hard wheeling trails near the ridges; and for that you will need lockers, but the trails are mostly wide enough to take the 80 without getting many 'pine stripes' on the paint job.

I like the south entrance of Wolf Pen gap and take light wheeling up to the 'mine shaft' (sounds more exciting than it is) and then just drive around and explore. Many small creek crossings and it is a great time. It can get crowed w/ Texans on 3 day weekends like memorial day and holidays but most other times you will have it all to yourself.

here is a cabin I saw for rent last time I was there in August (sugar creek lodge) it is near my favorite spots and the south trail head of wolf pen gap:

upload_2016-9-15_9-47-16-png.1321920

Here is the drive from Plano... it is ~ 4 hours and very scenic once you get to Broken Bow (many cabins and Forrest service trails for light wheeling in Hochatown OK)... many north Texans just stop here instead of going to Mena. Hochatown / Broken Bow is only a 3 hour drive from Plano.

upload_2016-9-15_9-44-5-png.1321919

All in all, the drive time from Dallas to Ozark is the longest, Dallas to Mena / Wolf Pen Gap is going to be about the same as to Caddo Gap.

Pls post a write-up after your November trip, I am sure everyone would like to check it out!

...oh. And BTW. If you do go to Wolf Pen Gap, I would recommend to stay in cabin / camping off of the SHOUT trail heads. There is a 'wolf pen gap campground' on google maps on the NORTH trail head; but IMO that place sucks. It has RC hook ups and all; but it is in the middle of a cow pasture and not very scenic. For the money I would prefer something on the south trail head side... but that's just me.

South trail head area of wolf pen gap is remote. There are no stores / fuel stations. It is about a 20 - 30 min drive into town so plan ahead.

Speaking of planning ahead... note Polk County Arkansas is a DRY county. So no alcohol sales of any type. If needed you will need to stock up in Texas before your trip.

I also agree , Arkansas is hard to beat on trails and farm roads. Many are very remote ESP this time of year. Have plenty of gas and maybe a chain saw in back of the cruiser for unexcepted trees that have fallen down. County maps are good to have with you. Some valleys are so tight there is NO cell phone coverage. Most areas are full of turkey,deer and some bear. Good fishing abounds in clear rivers and lakes. Mike

I will add my recommendation for the Broken Bow area. My favorite escape into nature, and where I learned all about river bottom mud and blowing heater hoses and all sorts of fun... Lessons learned, and I keep heading back. Getting ready to head back that way in a few weeks. Only around 3hrs from me in McKinney. The land north of the lake is full of logging trails, old camping cabins, old forest service towers, and wild life. Get a map from the aforementioned forest station as you can easily end up in the wildlife preserve area, which depending on which park ranger you run into and how much they love their life that day, can have interesting consequences. The one we ran into was shocked to see my cruiser so deep in the woods saying they had never even gone that far. He was super cool, hung with us a few hours, and gave us his cell number for quick permitting for future backpacking use etc, but he warned us his boss is always grumpy and loves loves loves writing tickets.

2uho40k.jpg

2v8k4l3.jpg

1z6u8g.jpg

23r2j6.jpg

2n1tjfa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom