Trailier Taillight Converter Needed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Lexus LX450 one day just would NOT go out of park. Eventually, I found the brake lights didn't work either. I replaced the switch on the brake, but no dice. I found out that if I pull off the little cap by the gear shifter, then force down the weird plastic widget below it, then keep on pushing, that I can over ride the idiot lawyers and get her in gear.
But being a very busy guy, I decided to take it to the local auto electrical wizards, just the road.
Not going to happen. 500 feet from the house, I hear a pop in the back and vehicle fills up with nasty electrical smoke. Naturally, there is a thunderstorm going on outside.
So pulling off the right rear inner panel, I find the problem is with the trailer tail light converter, it's a chocolate mess.
So where do I find one? Lexus wants to sell me the whole stinking package. Anyone got a spare for sale?
Thanks hoping,

Albert - W. PA

I take it that if it is a stock converter that fried it was probably only a flat four converter (I'm not familiar with what the OEM trailer light converter looks like). Most any auto parts store will sell a "plug and play" converter that would do that job, they are fairly cheap ($30-$50 range).

I just bought a generic one (not model specific) that I connected to the ends of the trailer light wires in my Kaymar rear bumper harness, but you can get a LX450/Cruiser specific converter that will just plug into the existing harness at the back of the truck in behind the bumper that requires no splicing.

i.e. 1997 Lexus LX450 Curt T-Connector Trailer Light Kits | Trailer Wiring | Curt Hitch

Hoppy makes a plug n play replacement for around $50 or so. Mine's been working great for years since the OEM failed. Lots of info in the trailer section here on this.

Glad you didn't end up with a full blown fire!

My Lexus LX450 one day just would NOT go out of park. Eventually, I found the brake lights didn't work either. I replaced the switch on the brake, but no dice. I found out that if I pull off the little cap by the gear shifter, then force down the weird plastic widget below it, then keep on pushing, that I can over ride the idiot lawyers and get her in gear.

The reason you couldn't shift out of park is because the fuse for your tail lights undoubtedly blew which locks the shift mechanism. Sounds like you found out after that why the fuse for the tail lights blew in the first place :eek:

The emergency shift lock bypass (there is an official name for it...read your manual) is there so you can move the vehicle if needed to a safe place to address the fuse blowing issue.

If I were you, I'd rip out whatever trailer wiring crap was previously installed, fix any exposed wires (assuming the old trailer wiring required splices), and then go with a Hoppy plug and play or the other make (can't recall which one it is but search trailer wiring etc. and you will find it) and be done with it.

I have the Hoppy and no splicing involved - Disconnect the tail lights at the connectors behind the interior panels, insert the Hoppy connector, and plug the tail light connectors back in. Most difficult part of the install is routing the 4 pin connector to the outside. The other make plugs in under the rear of the truck by the spare tire and I've read is even an easier install. I went the Hoppy route as I like all the wiring inside safe from the mud and crud.

Many thanks. I'll be looking for a Hoppy harness and converter. Don't find one yet, but I have time, not pulling a trailer right now and even if I did, I've got the '91 FJ80. Takes hills slower, but I like the feel better - rag seats adjustable to fit someone taller than me, no air bag staring me in the face, and more responsive suspension. I miss the factory lockers though.
Funny thing, it didn't blow the fuse at first. Only symptom was that it stuck in park. Didn't feel like a mechanical issue, so I found the brake lights didn't work pretty soon. That's when I assumed it was the switch on the pedal. Once that didn't do any good, I only pulled the park lock override trick because it was dead stuck behind my wife's other car. I was stumped :bang: until smoke started pouring out of the RR quarterpanel vent.
Looks like the problem started with the factory trailer plug, which shorted. The truck drives normally now, so I'm going to replace the trailer harness and converter and see how things go. I expect we're good. The Lexus branded converter is a .5x1.5x3 inch black box with is a 4 prong plug leading to the trailer on one end and a 6 prong that leads to a T off the tail light, with only 5 wires actually live. Don't yet know how those 5 wires map to an aftermarket converter. Shouldn't be too tough to figure out. Spent all afternoon with Lexus & Toyota. That converter is discontinued. I could really use a spare parts 80. Wife doesn't agree.
On - or rather off - the road again. Thanks to all.

I ripped mine out long ago. IIRC all of the wires plug in close to the converter, except one. It routes under the chrome strip that holds the back of the carpet down, to the other side turn signal. it's known to abrade the insulation and short out, so it's a good idea to check and if needed repair or replace. This is what shorted on mine. Mine had a Lexus sticker on it, when peeled off said Hoppy, so they may have supplied some for port/dealer install?

Many thanks. I'll be looking for a Hoppy harness and converter. Don't find one yet, but I have time.

Pretty sure this is the one I have:

Hoppy 43405

Says it is for a '91-'98 but it isn't...Works in the '93-'97 model years.

I mated this up with the 7/4 adapter so I have 4-pin and 7-pin plugs

Hoppy 47185

But being a very busy guy, I decided to take it to the local auto electrical wizards, just the road.
Not going to happen. 500 feet from the house, I hear a pop in the back and vehicle fills up with nasty electrical smoke. Naturally, there is a thunderstorm going on outside.
So pulling off the right rear inner panel, I find the problem is with the trailer tail light converter, it's a chocolate mess.
So where do I find one? Lexus wants to sell me the whole stinking package. Anyone got a spare for sale?
Thanks hoping,

Albert - W. PA
Yep, long ago!
Thanks for the follow up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom