Trailer tire question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
For a given size what is the difference in trailer tires vs car tires?

I have a small travel trailer, a Trillium 4500 (Trillium4500_Before).

It weighs about 1250 lbs. I was in a hurry last summer and put properly sized car tires on it cause I couldn't get trailer tires RIGHT THEN. When it was loaded with probably another 1000 lbs the tires looked overloaded. I had them inflated right up to their stated max. I was nervous for the entire round trip both on the highway and then on hilly/curvy/rough rural roads.

Is there a real difference in load handling of car vs trailer tires?

Should I replace these tires with trailer tires?

Thanks

Maybe I answered my own question:

Found at an online tire store:

"Trailer Tire requirements differ greatly from automotive tires. Automotive tires must maintain traction during all driving conditions: pulling, stopping, turning, or swerving. Because of this they must have more flexible sidewalls to maintain tread to road contact. Since trailers have no driving torque applied to their axles, the only time trailer tires must have traction is during the application of trailer brakes.
Trailers with heavy loads, high vertical sideloads (like camper trailers), or trailers with inadequate tongue weight can be affected by trailer sway problems. Automotive bias or radial tires with their more flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems, whereas the stiffer sidewalls of the ST (special trailer) bias ply tires help to control and reduce sway problems. For this reason it is not recommended that (P) Passenger or (LT) Light Truck tires be used on trailers. Best trailer control will be achieved with (ST) Special Trailer tires."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom