Trailer hitch/loop thingy...what the hell is it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm afraid to even ask this question but....What is the hitchball called, that isn't a hitchball but a loop? I saw one on a Discovery that was yellow. What would you use it for? Sorry for the NOOB question, but I drive in DC.

:confused:

Pintle.

Pintle is the hook part of the connector that is usually on the tow vehicle. Lunette Ring is the ring usually mounted on the tongue of the trailer.

Or do you mean this, which is used as a recovey point:
hitchblock.jpg

RSHACKLE.jpg

Receiver Shackle

The dumbest thing I ever saw was a Mercedes ML w/ a giant carabiner in the hitch reciever. Wish I had a camera handy. He probably saw a reciever shackle and thought, "Close enough"
Carabiner.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I like the MB ML story. I admit I drive in DC (far from off roading) but I always ask you guys before doing anything to my LC. That way I don't drive around with an hullahoop hanging off my hitch. Thanks again!

I like the one NMuzj100 posted.

Snook said:
Here is what it looks like.

Regards,

Sorry to nit pick Snook. However, what you show is a combination ball - pintle hook. I'll never use one - an uncle of mine had one shear off the ball. The trailer disconnected and (according to him) it was a real rodeo ride to get it stopped. And yes, he was well within the weight rating.

Just a word of caution........

This is a pintle hook...
1284_lg.gif

hi jack - labrat - was this accident associated with using the towing vehicle combo (Pintle/ball) while towing a trailer set up for use with a ball or a pintle?

OEM Toyota BJ40 Pintle hook.

Military uses them, and if I have a choice I'll never use a ball again. My trailer has the ring and I bought a receiver mount for another pintle hook that I can use on either truck.
The connection is solid, it swivels every which-a-way without a chance of popping off as a ball hitch could do if stressed.

And, I agree with labrat about those combo things. Looks universal and thereby a convenience but I think the lunette ring moves too much against only the shaft under the ball causing a possible breakage (or considering labrat's post, an assured breakage)

Last edited:
Was it a lunette that was involved in the accident?

stayalert said:
hi jack - labrat - was this accident associated with using the towing vehicle combo (Pintle/ball) while towing a trailer set up for use with a ball or a pintle?

Was it a lunette that was involved in the accident?

It was a lunette - the trailer was an 8 foot single axle flat bed trailer (weight approx 800 - 1000 lbs) loaded with approx 2000 lbs of building material (plywood, 2x4s, 2x6s, concrete, etc). Combo hitch was an 8 ton unit.

According to my uncle (as I recall) he was going about 45mph - primary road (not interstate) - road takes a gentle left bend - pothole ahead - uncle steered to avoid - truck misses - trailer hits it - the jolt sheared the ball off - trailer tried to go straight while the truck is still turning - trailer hits the safety chains - truck's rear end is jerked hard to the right - trailer nose bounces off the chains to the left - trucks rear end gets jerked hard to the left - trailer pendulums a few more times all while my uncle is trying to keep the truck on the road which is still turning left - he eventually rode it out and stopped it.

To his credit the load was very well secured and didn't shift but an inch or so. However, he did admit later that he had too much slack in the chains and he didn't cross them under the trailer tongue. He also had almost no weight in the back of the truck - he was delivering the supplies and just wanted to drop the trailer and leave rather than unload the back. He got lucky - lesson learned.

if lunette/pintles are superior is there any reason why the ball hitch is the standard? is it just a cost thing? do the ball hitches work better at highway speed?

semlin said:
if lunette/pintles are superior is there any reason why the ball hitch is the standard? is it just a cost thing? do the ball hitches work better at highway speed?

I'll give you my impressions, having trailered thousands of miles with both types.

The ball hitch is usually secured by a indented metal plate in the tongue that locks up against the ball when the lever on the coupler is secured in the down or locked position. In normal operation, this works pretty well, and is quiet even at low speeds. In tougher situations or under very heavy loads - like a larger boat, these can come loose with enough upward pressure applied to the trailer tongue. I have had this happen, and it is a PITA at best.

After about 5000 miles of pulling my OR trailer over all types of roads (and non-roads) using the pintle and lunette arrangement, I cannot find a reason why I would not prefer it in ALL towing situations. It is more secure, stronger, has a much greater range of motion, and is only noisy at low speeds on uneven surfaces - but even this is a minor issue.

For heavy duty, military, and off-highway use the intle and lunette is much better. It is also more secure on the highway, IMHO.

Mike

I imagine there may also be a culture thing about this, the pintle hooks and lunettes being big and industrial-looking. Not to mention that once the industry has settled on a standard it's just plain hard to change cuz everybody has already invested in it. Yes, I love my pintle arrangement. But I also have a receiver on.

The NATO pintle is probably one of the best towing hooks around and is designed to allow articulation of the trailer with the the towing vehicle, if the twing ring on the trailer is fixed that is does not rotate then the pintle can be unlocked to allow it to rotate, this not only allows articulation but also prevents the trailer from forcing the vehicle over in the event of a capsise.

http://www.dixonbate.co.uk/html/pintles.htm

Compatibility:
Suitable for
Towing eyes: I.D. 75.00 mm
Section: 28.6 mm

Rotation:
Lower lock designed to secure jaw in one position or allow it to rotate 360°. Lock secured with steel pin & clip.

Towing Capacity
4.07 tonnes
Tensile strength 22 tonnes

Approval:
TUV No TP4 1308
NATO Stock No: 2540-99-825-6119

The pintle/lunette setup is FAR superior in every way. Much more heavy-duty and actually easier to hitch up. When towing, you get more articulation between tow rig and trailer. Hell, we pay good money so that our truck's suspension articulates, why not give our towing combination the same advantage? (Rhetorical question)

Some will point to specialty tow setups that have the regular ball, and the hitch articulates by twisting; however, IMHO, these are more failure prone than the military setup.

All four of my cruisers have pintles, and one of them (HJ45) has the combo pintle (as pictured in Snook's post #5). I've never had any trouble with it.

anyone got a preferred brand pintle for a receiver mount? i can get a generic one locally for about $70 but i have not idea if it is "nato" rated or if that means very much.

That sounds kinda spendy. Brand new one retail for $50 in Anchorage. I KNOW that shipping to your local is less than to here. Mil surplus shops here get about $20-$30 for them.

There is no "NATO" or other rating for Pintles. Forget worries about brand names and just pick one up at your local truck or farm supply store.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom