Trail Suggestions for Southwest Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Afternoon everyone!! In the works planning a camping trip for the 40 this summer (Late June/early July) to southwest Colorado. We've been many times but haven't ever branched off the "main drag" of the alpine loop. We love and definitely will still be doing Cinnamon, engineer and Imogene.
Are there any trails in the southwest region of Colorado worth adding to the list of to dos? The 40 is built out pretty well but it doesn't have lockers. Some other family members are going to be tagging along behind in their semi built Fj Cruiser and my buddy's Fj Cruiser as well.
I know Camping Spots are a very sensitive subject to some but if you had any suggestions for good areas to camp would be amazing also!!
Thanks for reading and any help provided!!

Here's a picture of the 40 and my two nieces that will hopefully be tagging along to experience and fall in love with the outdoors as I did when I was their age going on similar trips with mom and dad.

blue bell fj40.jpg

It’s hard to go wrong on the trails around Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride. Most trails are easy, but unforgiving drop offs are plentiful. The picture with my truck on the the Wall, on the Poughkeepsie Trail, is one of the most difficult obstacles. Black Bear pass has an off camber section, but isn’t really difficult. The rest have great views with few obstacles. Governors Basin is beautiful, but an in and out only. I’d skip the thin lower trail out Sydney Basin, which gets very sketchy.

44D19C94-692F-4B13-8599-956865712B06.jpeg

8489A49A-1BDB-41A0-BF22-D1DA1F838AF2.jpeg

D4CA7343-0FAE-4AB4-A529-D5968BD92C6F.jpeg

25706E9A-EE05-4FDA-976D-6A6F8EFBF5A5.jpeg

F103E0D7-56B3-4AA0-B77E-140A2AC263F1.jpeg

EC495B3E-2973-41F5-B871-E86F19B9FD6C.jpeg

EDAD9E2D-581E-469C-B48D-DFEA5CA24DB1.jpeg

8A268F7A-01F3-42A7-B05F-313E3A9431E8.png

There will be trails lead each day on what are known as the Ionic trails. Imogene, BlackBear, Ophir, Yankee Boy Basin, Governors Basin and a few others that are on the West side of Red Mountain Pass or the Ouray and Telluride side of the pass.
The East side of the pass is commonly known as the Ouray, Silverton and Lake City side of Red Mountain Pass. This includes Mineral Creek, Engineer, Poughkeepsie Gultch, California pass, California Corkscrew, Hurican Pass, Cinnimon Pass and the cool ghost town know as Animas Forks. I highly recommend Stoney Pass, It's not difficult but the views are outstanding, the summit of the pass is on the Continental Divide and is where the Rio Grande River starts as a trickle from the snow pack.
I agree with BackBear being a little more fun from the Telluride side, unfortunately it is only open to one way traffic just above the steps and swithbacks during the time we are there. In years past the Telluride Rotary Club sponsors a reverse offering on the 4th of July. I don't know if this still happens though.
Here is a good description from the chief organizer of Solid Axle Summit, which is based out of Ouray for a week each year. You should join us for this family oriented week of camping and wheeling. I haven’t driven Stoney Pass yet, but he recommends it. I’ll drive it in July/August. You’re welcome to join.

Also, with the heavy snow falling with winter, the passes may not open until August. The icy sections of the trail get pretty sketchy and dangerous. Helps a lot to have another truck with you.

Here is a good description from the chief organizer of Solid Axle Summit, which is based out of Ouray for a week each year. You should join us for this family oriented week of camping and wheeling. I haven’t driven Stoney Pass yet, but he recommends it. I’ll drive it in July/August. You’re welcome to join.
I always love seeing pictures of wheeling/camping trips in their cruisers. I may be able to swing that. It's definitely in the timeframe I'm looking at going. Currently getting the 40 road worthy for a trip that long. Swapping the motor with a rebuilt one and a few other bits to make it a little more comfortable for a trek that far.

I'm starting the journey leaving out from North Texas. What area are you starting out from?

SAS, Solid Axle Summit, typically runs the first week of August. The last few years, tickets sold out in less than 2 hours. The main camp in is the Ouray KOA camp. We basically take over the place. There are quite a few 40’s at SAS. The organizers are from Texas and organize a convoy up to Colorado for the event. Here is the link to this years event.

3D4CEA69-64AA-4232-9177-580B7077EBD8.jpeg

F1558293-C55F-4499-A14C-D17E2C72B070.jpeg

Last edited:
Late June early July can be pretty early for the high trails of the SW corner. Most trails don’t open till mid/late July, some as late as august.
Plan accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom