SAS Solid Axle Summit #7 Official Page (4 Viewers)

SAS #7 Color Choices for Swag and Trail Flags

• • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They'll be there. Too late to get into KOA but will be out on the trails

dog.jpg

Has anyone gone down and road the Durango-Silverton train ride? Looks like about a 2 hr trip from Ouray. I just wish it went roundtrip from Silverton rather than Durango.

On the other hand are there enough trails out there to wheel 6-8 hours a day and catch them all? I plan to arrive Sunday afternoon and leave the following Saturday early. I have a 2000 mile journey each way.

You can spend that much time each day up there and not do everything available. I have never done the train but have wanted to.
We offer trailguides for most of the popular and iconic trails each day starting on Monday.

Has anyone gone down and road the Durango-Silverton train ride? Looks like about a 2 hr trip from Ouray. I just wish it went roundtrip from Silverton rather than Durango.

On the other hand are there enough trails out there to wheel 6-8 hours a day and catch them all? I plan to arrive Sunday afternoon and leave the following Saturday early. I have a 2000 mile journey each way.
I guess it would depend on how much thrashing you’re into. Some of the trails are technical. If you’ve never been and you don’t know the trails I would suggest falling in with one of the groups. Will all depend on how many other vehicles are on the trails. The place can be swamped with side-by-sides. IMO

Who was it a few years back that was balls to the wall everywhere he went and broke everything on his truck including His gas can? And then somebody posted an interview from YouTube and saw him flying by in the background who was that?

I can't speak to the Durango train, but others here can and will.

As for the trails - no, you'll not see them all. There are far too many! Stay off the pavement, and you'll be on the way to something special. Enjoy the trip!

Who was it a few years back that was balls to the wall everywhere he went and broke everything on his truck including His gas can? And then somebody posted an interview from YouTube and saw him flying by in the background who was that?

I haven't seen the YouTube, but @cruisermatt had a frame-mounted gas can and did a little fast moving. Mind you he didn't break everything, just the bellhousing lol.

I only broke my bellhousing (into 5 pieces), and a rear differential crosspin on the last day. I don’t think many knew about the differential because I had it fixed in like 30 minutes on the trail (I had a spare).

For what its worth the bellhousing was already cracked and chose THAT WEEK to let go.
Same thing with the crosspin, it just let go on the gravel road, not on a obstacle or anything.

I broke the entire locker the next day on the Big Sluice on the Rubicon trail and that was much more spectacular.

Last edited:
@cruisermatt finds the weak spots on these rigs with uncanny tact. Helps us all. Way to take it for the team Matt.

Pro tip. If you’re doing a custom drivetrain swap and your vehicle has a lot of suspension travel. Be REALLY careful when measuring for driveshaft lengths. My front driveshaft was 1/4” too long at full compression which is why my bellhousing was cracked as well as about five other issues, transfer case bolts, bellhousing bolts, adapter bolts etc all loosening up after every trail ride

You can spend that much time each day up there and not do everything available. I have never done the train but have wanted to.
We offer trailguides for most of the popular and iconic trails each day starting on Monday.
Will you guys do the most popular trails every day or will you have a list of which trails you are guiding on what days?

In some videos I have watched it looks like Black Bear pass would be more fun (challenging) to do from Telluride to Ouray but it might be more safer to do it from Ouray. What are your thoughts?

I am sure I will ask more questions. I have wheeled all over the U.S. but not any of these trails.

Will you guys do the most popular trails every day or will you have a list of which trails you are guiding on what days?

In some videos I have watched it looks like Black Bear pass would be more fun (challenging) to do from Telluride to Ouray but it might be more safer to do it from Ouray. What are your thoughts?

I am sure I will ask more questions. I have wheeled all over the U.S. but not any of these trails.
Black Bear Pass is a one way trail. Please don't run it backwards

There will be trails lead each day on what are known as the Ionic trails. Imogene, BlackBear, Ophir, Yankee Boy Basin, Governors Basin and a few others that are on the West side of Red Mountain Pass or the Ouray and Telluride side of the pass.
The East side of the pass is commonly known as the Ouray, Silverton and Lake City side of Red Mountain Pass. This includes Mineral Creek, Engineer, Poughkeepsie Gultch, California pass, California Corkscrew, Hurican Pass, Cinnimon Pass and the cool ghost town know as Animas Forks. I highly recommend Stoney Pass, It's not difficult but the views are outstanding, the summit of the pass is on the Continental Divide and is where the Rio Grande River starts as a trickle from the snow pack.
I agree with BackBear being a little more fun from the Telluride side, unfortunately it is only open to one way traffic just above the steps and swithbacks during the time we are there. In years past the Telluride Rotary Club sponsors a reverse offering on the 4th of July. I don't know if this still happens though.

Last edited:
I would also point out 90 percent of the trails that are run at SAS are none technical (your Moms Subaru would make it ) it's the natural beauty, scenery, Family atmosphere and great people that bring me back every year !!!

Last edited:
I would also point out 90 percent of the trails that are run at SAS are none technical (your Moms Subaru would make it ) it's the natural beauty, scenery Family atmosphere and great people that bring me back every year !!!
Exactly why we do it my friend. Most people don't care to beat their old and valuable vehicle on the trails each day. Completely different mindset, especially for those of us that drive them hundreds if not thousands of miles to and from Ouray each year.

Something to keep in mind however is not the overall difficulty of the trails but the area in which they are in. Most are on shelf roads with very ill results if you do screw up or make a poor decision. Please have your vehicle prepaired before hand. Good brakes, steering and cooling systems all come to mind. Have your fuel system in good working order also, carborated or fuel injected vehicles will let you know what needs attention real quick with the altitudes and low boiling point of high ethinol grade fuels. Insulating or shielding fuel lines is a big help in this area. It's a simple thing to overlook, I'm guilty of it myself but over the years I have learned what works most of the time for my Cruisers.

Last edited:
Exactly why we do it my friend. Most people don't care to beat their old and valuable vehicle on the trails each day. Completely different mindset, especially for those of us that drive them hundreds if not thousands of miles to and from Ouray each year.

Something to keep in mind however is not the overall difficulty of the trails but the area in which they are in. Most are on shelf roads with very ill results if you do screw up or make a poor decision. Please have your vehicle prepaired before hand. Good brakes, steering and cooling systems all come to mind. Have your fuel system in good working order also, carborated or fuel injected vehicles will let you know what needs attention real quick with the altitudes and low boiling point of high ethinol grade fuels. Insulating or shielding fuel lines is a big help in this area. It's a simple thing to overlook, I'm guilty of it myself but over the years I have learned what works most of the time for my Cruisers.

Which cruiser you taking this year Casey? The 40 sure looks good at the front of the convoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom