Trail run bucket list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lighter the better.. i don't think my cruiser knows what that means either.. that must be what the 12K pound winch and a snatch block is for. should be a challenge Wayne.

wayne, where did you get your kinetic recovery rope from and how much was it? i've been looking for one instead of the static snatch straps i have.

http://www.masterpull.com/Off-Road/Kinetic-Recovery-Ropes/
i had custom 50' and 100' made up, i found the short ropes are inadequate for mud and snow recovery.
remember, i did 30 years of Alberta foothill wheeling before moving back home. when you are trying to get someone up a 100' snow and icy hill, 30' was a joke. when you hook the two together you have an amazingly gentle, STRONG pull.

just don't let them get knotted, you will never get the knot out.
and they suck around sharp objects.

i'll have to get some made as well.. i've seen some others that are similiar and the idea of a dynamic stretch is much more effective in many scenarios.. plus it seems easier on your truck and equipment..

maybe i will be able to give you a first hand experience ...
i have been known to get pretty stuck at times:

DSC_0003.jpg

FJ45-3.jpg

snall May 2006 Fisher east run 119.jpg

Nice job Noel. !! Thank for organizing all the good stuff. I picked up 32 smokies and 24 buns, and a brick of cheese to add to it for lunch. As a back up I will bring a two burner stove and gas BBQ plus a couple small propane tanks.

Is it Sunday yet?

My pleasure!
It's great that this all went together within days and glad a bunch of folks are joining!
Looking forward!

oh oh, Noey is loading up the cruiser again ...
home on wheels.

umm, seriously though, there is one section where lighter will definately be better.
What was that you said back then?
"Term of endearment" lol!
I've actually scaled back big time since then. :)
Still learning though!

just out of curiousity.. i.e.. so i can decide to leave my wife at home.. the photos you posted Wayne - is this something we should expect tomorrow? frankly she'll sh*t herself and likely never come again ;)>. for some, this may be a good thing, although i enjoy her company..

looking forward to tomorrow.

i mean, under the snow. ;). nnot sure where you are taking us.

there is one section where this "might" happen, other than that it is deep snow, mud underneath, one hill, beautiful scenery, quiet, peaceful, refreshing ...
i have found it is the drivers reaction as to how the passengers respond. if the driver is cursing, panicking then the passengers get all uncool. if the driver reacts in a calm, peaceful manor, maybe even laughing (not the nervous kind) then the passengers don't realize the predicement they are in.

when Mitch hit a tree sliding off a trail, his daughter was all upset and near tears. i came up all excited telling her how wicked that was, making light of the situation. within a couple minutes i had her laughing. she really enjoyed the run after that, otherwise she might have been turned off the whole adventure.

same with my daughter and son what back in the day, close calls were treated with seriousness but not with fear. you helped rid the fear and then calmly discussed how to avoiding it in the future. fear has no place in wheeling, common sense, preparation is important. accidents will happen, how we react will tell if our passengers come out again.

the trail, all in all, is very tame with a bit of challenge thrown in. we have stock trucks coming out and i wouldn't be suggesting they come if i didn't think they would have a decent chance of making it.

i think your wife will be fine but you know her better so you need to make that call. or, if she decides at the last minute to stay behind, i am sure she can find something to do in the area.

suggestion: bring boots, if we get stuck, being able to put on rubbers to jump into the mud might be a nice choice over runners.

thanks for the description of the trail - i'm sure it will have its moments but find the same thing with the reaction and approach of the driver. She'll be fine, i find her stress level goes up (regardless of my composure) when she thinks the vehicle will get damaged, yet she is only used to driving in africa. the mud, rocks and hills don't exist where she's from and wheeling offroad in canada is new. i tend to driver pretty slow and take my time through sections, typically a bit over cautious as patience and thinking through scenarios typically persevere on the trail.

good suggestion re: spare boots. thanks.

we need to get a group together to do a run into Alberta, i can show you some wickedly enjoyable trails that will make you fall in love with your truck all over again.

300' to 1000' hill climbs, side hilling, switch backs, creek crossings, tight tight trails but you shouldn't do any damage at all.

i'm from out west and lived in alberta, most of my time in British Columbia. I worked in search and rescue and was on a helitack crew for years.. i wasn't into wheeling my own vehicle, but spent many years climbing, mountain biking, skiing, hiking and hunting in the mountains. I wish i had my cruiser back then and as i think it would have enriched my life so much more. i have to give credit to my wife for introducing me to the landcruiser; everybody has one where she is from and she had taken me on bush trips with the cruiser. i immediately fell in love with the truck and the legendary nature of its reliability and ruggedness. people were so passionate about them there and i didn't really get it at first. (they also had a passion for the land rover, specifically of when it was going to breakdown). i recall watching her drive her 45 series bukkie through a section of water that washed over the hood and it just climbed right out without so much as a tick. this bukkie had 350K km on it and sturdy as hell. we were 2 days from civilization without anyone else around (aside from a toyota surf that carried a couple other friends). its been a few years, and she is now living in canada. we were driving by a used car dealership in georgetown and spotted a 100 series on the parking lot.. we instantly bought it on the spot.. it has been in a constant stage of change since then, with build plan slowly taking shape and turning it into a more capable overland rig (albeit, a large one;).. the Sontt group has introduced me to a new group of people with the same passion for toyotas and the outdoors, and Mud has been a wealth of knowledge.. Its never too late ;).

:lol:
the obsession starts. you do realize there is no cure, its terminal.
i look forward to meeting you in person tomorrow ... too bad it is going to be a short visit.
at least you will be able to see some of my builds in progress.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom