Traction Control interference from start in 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
Here is the scenario: In 4wd High in the 07 Sequoia on a dirt road recently. No traction concerns, just engaged to keep moving parts happy. When I come to a complete stop, then start again, the traction light starts blinking and there is no throttle response. This lasts for about a second, then back to normal.

I thought at first that maybe I was too heavy on the throttle and the rear tires broke loose (unlocked CDL). So I tried a few more times over the afternoon and got consistent traction warnings. Never a problem in 2wd, and 4lo would disengage the traction control but I never tried.

Mechanically everything underneath seems okay. Where do I need to start looking?

Bump for solution: I had forgotten about this until this week when on a dirt "road" that was starting to look hairy and I put it in 4lo to climb a hill. Just as I was coming up to speed the traction light came on again and I got a horrible noise from the front. Thought maybe something was broken inside a joint or the diff, but the timing of the light made me consider it was the ABS. 2wd was just fine and I finished the trip.

Got home and looked things over. Noticed the ABS sensor on driver's front was not exactly flush. Close, but there was the slightest gap on one side. Removed, greased o ring, and replaced fully seated. A brief test on a dirt lot in all levels of 4wd seemed fine.

The driver's knuckle had been off last year and maybe this hairline gap was enough to send bad signals to the computer. Very optimistic we are good now. Just need to get to that timing belt now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom