TPMS disarm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No pictures, but
1) remove door still and kick panel from passagers side.
2) just below the glove box, about the center is a screw that need to be removed.
3) pull down black panel, there are just 3 clips holding it.
4) on the black panel there are 2 boxes, the closes one should say something about pressure monitoring, other is 4wd.
5) on TPMS box, disconnect the plug, looking at the pin opening, count 6 pins from the left on the top row. that should be a blue wire (wire does have stripes, don't recall the color).
6) cut the wire, the part of the wire that DOES NOT go into the plug, wire that to a ground. There is a nice screw on the kick panel, it holds a metal plate that holds the plastic in place.
7) if the TPMS light was on, check that's it's off, and re-install the panels.

Pictures in post 1 are a good reference

I got sick of the light being on so I fixed it today.

This will only work on a 07+ GX as far as I know.

I hate cutting my wiring harnesses, so I always try to figure out a way to not cut them. I pulled the TPMS box out and soldered a wire between the posts that attach the connector to the CCA.

Just pull the box out and pry the black cover off. The CCA slides right out of the blue housing.

Z7E1J5X.jpg

Next I pulled a small wire out of a Cat 5E cable I had laying around and stripped both ends.

J3a3Qjv.jpg

Then it was a simple job of soldering it between the blue wire post and the green with red stripe post. I verified there was 5V on the Green with Red stripe post first.

3u4G9nx.jpg

No more blinking TPMS light.

Worked like a charm!!

Thank you

Great easy to follow directions with the pics make this a simple fix. I have 275 65r20 rims and tires

I need to do this!

My tpms light is weird [or maybe it is normal?]

I can drive for a month or 2 and say 1-2k miles and the light never comes on. But if I drive non stop for 60 miles the light flashes.

I have a slightly different TPMS box and harness on my 2008. So for anyone on with this one, here are the two posts to solder. They still correspond to the Blue and Red/Green wires on the harness. Thanks to @Stinkonamonkey and @burtoncr for helping me out.

Super easy, took 15 minutes and this is the first time I've ever attempted something like this.
full

Mud is the best. This saved me a couple of C notes from chasing bad sensors. Works like a charm!

One the first things I did when I got home after getting my new GX470 was to disarm the TPMS. I initially tried airing up all five tires and the thing was still blinking, driving me crazy (OCD). I know people have posted links but I decided to take pics of the process. It took all of 15 minutes. First, I removed the glove box and the panel underneath will drop down. You'll see two boxes and the green one closest to you will be the TPMS junction. Unplug it and look for the blue wire. I removed the black tape and cut the wire about 1 1/2 inches away from the connector. With the key in the Acc position when you cut the wire the light on the dash will remain lit solid. Then get another piece of wire about 6 inches long and tie it in to the harness side of the wire. Crimp a loop connector on the other side. There is a metal box up and to the side that has a screw that works as a good ground. Crimp a butt connector on the blue wire coming out of the TPMS module and tuck it back. Re tape everything and plug the connector back in. Turn the key back to ACC and light should go off. If you ever want to re-connect you can just remove the ground wire and connect the original pieces with the butt connector.

View attachment 1374881

View attachment 1374882

View attachment 1374883

View attachment 1374884
Thanks for the great write up. I did the disarm after my replacement TPMS began to fail. Light was on more than off and was always false warning as the tires were NEVER under inflated. Instead of replacing the TPMS units in the wheels a second time I put the $ towards an ARB compressor so if I ever do get a low tire I can air up anywhere.

Great write ups. But why solder on the inside of the harness? Why not just run a jumper wire on the plug?
Also on my 06 4runner all you had to do was just unplug the box and the light went out. It’s was that simple. Anyone try that on the GX?

Great write ups. But why solder on the inside of the harness? Why not just run a jumper wire on the plug?
Also on my 06 4runner all you had to do was just unplug the box and the light went out. It’s was that simple. Anyone try that on the GX?
I didn’t want to splice any wires. Unplugging did not work on my 08.

Has anybody had luck actually fixing these TPMS systems? When I bought my '07 the previous owner said it just needed a new sensor. So I had all 5 sensors replaced and it just blinks then stays on. Bought a Techstream cable off Amazon and updated all the sensor ID's and nothing. The TPMS system wont read them at all. My China Techstream also has a hell of a time connecting to the TPMS system. From looking at the parts diagrams, there is the little box under the glove box, and also the sensor up in front of the sun roof.

I'm about to find out. Just bought my truck recently and techstream says it has 2 dead sensors. Light is on solid, bought some new OEM (p/n: 42607-33012) sensors off eBay. Will try to install/program them with the techstream. If that doesn't work, I'll be soldering the pins together. Just wanted to shoot my best shot by trying to fix the system first... :)

Took my truck to Discount Tire over the weekend. They had a scanning tool that determined two of my sensors have dead batteries. $65 per sensor and they’ll replace them. That’s not bad if you ask me.

I have 2009 and completed this project last night. Few observations. I have the red box. If you are planning on just jumping the pins the there is no need to take any trim pieces off. Just take the center screw out of the black panel and the two screws reraining the red box. The board slides out very easy. You can use a drop of solder to link the 1st and 2nd post counting from the left together. Then reassemble. To test we deflated two tires down to 6lbs and made sure the light was one . Turned the ignition off and then did the mod and restarted the vehicle and let it run for a few minutes to see if the dash light came on. It did not. Reinflated the tires and out the panels back on. Total time of project was about three hours, about 8 mins to do the mod and 3 hours to share rum with a friend i dint get a chance to see all that often.

Figured this out for the 07+ GX (the TPMS indicator circuit is different). Reading some of the other forums (T4R, Tacomaworld) I saw people having the same problem with newer Toyotas as the 07+ GX, ie grounding the blue wire going to the dash indicator light (or in their case it is pink/black) did not work. So one or two people tried connecting the blue wire to 5V and it worked. I pulled out my multimeter and confirmed the green/red stripe wire right next to the blue wire on the same connector was 5V (double confirmed by the 04 connector diagram I have as well - it's the Tire Pressure receiver power source). I tapped (I didn't cut) 5V off the green/red stripe wire, connected it to the blue wire going to the dash and the light went off!

TLDR: For the 07+ GX instead of grounding the blue wire you tap 5V off the green/red stripe wire right next to it in the connector and connect them.
This works for 07! TY!

TPMS driving me nuts on my 08, but I have never soldered before. Any recommendations on a simple soldering gun or station I can pick up to give this a try? Or is there a good chance I screw it up and makes things worse?(I’m medium smart on my best day).
Cheers.

TPMS driving me nuts on my 08, but I have never soldered before. Any recommendations on a simple soldering gun or station I can pick up to give this a try? Or is there a good chance I screw it up and makes things worse?(I’m medium smart on my best day).
Cheers.
If you are not going to solder much just get an inexpensive soldering iron (no trigger) probably about 20.00. The soldering guns are a little more. Go to You Tube and watch a few experts teaching soldering and test your skills on a scarp piece of wire. It does help to have a vice or something to hold your wires. You can simply use a couple alligator clips clamped in the vice to hold the two wires together. Or you can get a soldering station as in Stinkonmokey's 5-17-19 post/pic above. Super easy and you'll probably never go back to crimp on splice connectors.

Amazon 20.00 = HunterBee Hands Free Lighting Work Magnifier Helping Stand Station for Soldering and Repairing Hobby with Adjustable Angle Alligator Clips clamp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom