TPI with stock tranny and transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this forum so take it easy on me if this is the wrong place to post a question. I am trying to assemble the parts to install a TPI system on my 75 FJ40. It currently has a Chevy 383, I used the Marks Adapter so to ease the V-8 swap and retain the stock tranny. Since I paid soooo much for this adapter I want to keep it. I have a 92 computer and a 87 Intake, I realize I'll have to match the sensors to the computer but I am running into a problem. Has anyone been able to install a system that uses the MAP sensor with the stock Toyota Tranny and Transfer case. If so how did you adapt the Vehicle Speed Sensor to the Cruiser?
Thanks,
Jim

im no expert on TPI, but i can tell you that the VSS can be had thru "Jags that run" google them and you will find alot of info..

The MAP sensor i belive is just a manifold Pressure sensor, and should work with any tranny..

I Decided to go with the TBI setup due to Me being Cheep, and it was a less complex setup

ISOTEL,
Thanks I'll try there web site.

HawkDriver,
Not much has changed around here I live arcoss the street from the high school, next time your in town stop by.
Jim

I am about ready to put a 1985 305 tpi motor in my pig. I am getting the wiring and computer from Howell Engineering. howell-efi.com Super nice tech guy. He answered all my questions

rapovt,
How did they address the VSS? I went to "Jags that run" it looks like they have a VSS that will work but I'll have to the tread size on my speedo cable to see if thet have one that will work. I wounder if the stock Toyota VSV sensor will work? Still do the research. Let me know how it goes.

I have the JTR 2-pulse Toyota VSS (2PRS-TOY, $88) on my '76 w/TBI. It threads right in but there is a clearance problem with the emergency brake cable that is pretty easy to overcome. I rotated the backing plate for the brake drum, but there is also an extension available from Toyota.

I haven't fired my engine yet so all I can say is the mechanical fit is fine. JTR is a good outfit to deal with.

Cruiserjim said:
I wounder if the stock Toyota VSV sensor will work?
Doesn't VSV stand for Vacuum Signal Valve? How can that provide an electronic pulse to a computer?

I am not sure about the VSS. howell said that they could make TPI work on any car.

also check www.downeyoffroad.com they make lots of sensors and stuff for the conversion and i think www.tpi4x4.com also sells the sensors anyway good luck and let us know how it works, its a mod i want to do also!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom