Toyota Seems to be Acknowledging Bad AHC Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered AHC fluid from Grieco Toyota last week. Yesterday I got this update from them:
I am sorry Toyota just contacted me that they have all bad stock of this fluid right now and they are waiting for the replacement to arrive but expect it to take 2 weeks before receiving.
For anyone that got the bad fluid and had their AHC system thrashed, it maybe worth following up with Toyota if they have in fact pulled the fluid off the market.

We need an official response so people can have some legal standing to claim damages.
Did they share anything else? My "damages" are the cost of 1 quart, but if i were replacing things, id be pissed.

I bumped into this the other day - I wonder if it is available in the US? And whether it is a viable option.

I've used Ravenol's 75W synthetic for 2 transfer case drain and fills. No issues.

Does Ravenol say anything about meeting Toyota's specs for their AHC fluid, like they do with their 75W?

I went to the Ravenol web page, searched for 15 minutes, and damned if I can find it.

We need an official response so people can have some legal standing to claim damages.
Did they share anything else? My "damages" are the cost of 1 quart, but if i were replacing things, id be pissed.
Yeah, i doubt Toyota would say anything that will open them up for lawsuits…….

Yeah, i doubt Toyota would say anything that will open them up for lawsuits…….

That’s why I’m a proper **** and would persue regardless.

But to counter your point, we have enough collective evidence to justify amends as it is.

I've used Ravenol's 75W synthetic for 2 transfer case drain and fills. No issues.

Does Ravenol say anything about meeting Toyota's specs for their AHC fluid, like they do with their 75W?

I went to the Ravenol web page, searched for 15 minutes, and damned if I can find it.

Tech specs:

RAVENOL AHC Active Height Control Fluid is suitable for use in the following vehicles: Toyota Land Cruiser 100 and 200, Lexus LX470 and LX570, Nissan Patrol, Infiniti QX.

Last edited:
I ordered AHC fluid from Grieco Toyota last week. Yesterday I got this update from them:
"I am sorry Toyota just contacted me that they have all bad stock of this fluid right now and they are waiting for the replacement to arrive but expect it to take 2 weeks before receiving."
For anyone that got the bad fluid and had their AHC system thrashed, it maybe worth following up with Toyota if they have in fact pulled the fluid off the market.

Why are you so sure that "bad" means some kind of basic product performance failure? Why could it not be just overage stock that needs to be replenished with a fresh lot of the same material? In that case, the dealer is protecting you by not selling you old stock.

Just trying to look for the good during trying times...

HTH

@gaijin there have been several reports on this forum of defective fluid that have ruined pumps. It might be a stretch, but these fluid issues and this message from a dealer are highly correlated.

"I am sorry Toyota just contacted me that they have all bad stock of this fluid right now and they are waiting for the replacement to arrive but expect it to take 2 weeks before receiving."

Why are you so sure that "bad" means some kind of basic product performance failure? Why could it not be just overage stock that needs to be replenished with a fresh lot of the same material? In that case, the dealer is protecting you by not selling you old stock.

Just trying to look for the good during trying times...

HTH
I'm assuming you are using the term "overage" to mean past expiration, I would guess that we are assuming when they say "bad" stock, they mean fluid that clearly doesn't function as designed, which in context to posts over the last 6 months on the forum, has been proven that Toyota has sold that type of fluid on multiple occasions.

If you mean "overage" as overstock, i can't imagine a reason Toyota wouldn't sell something they have too much of...

How would this stuff go bad, unless it is like over 5 years old? Even then, it's not like it's been in a vehicle for 60K miles.

I'm assuming you are using the term "overage" to mean past expiration, I would guess that we are assuming when they say "bad" stock, they mean fluid that clearly doesn't function as designed, which in context to posts over the last 6 months on the forum, has been proven that Toyota has sold that type of fluid on multiple occasions.

If you mean "overage" as overstock, i can't imagine a reason Toyota wouldn't sell something they have too much of...

overage
adjective
variants: also overaged
Synonyms & Antonyms of overage (Entry 2 of 2)
as in older, over-the-hill
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for overage

Why did Toyota change the old fluid # 0888601805 to a new #?

Different container. 2.5L metal jug to 1L plastic. I don't know why they did that, if that's what you are asking. But that's the reason for the different part numbers.

overage
adjective
variants: also overaged
Synonyms & Antonyms of overage (Entry 2 of 2)
as in older, over-the-hill
Synonyms & Near Synonyms for overage
Thanks for the google-fu....i didn't say you used a word improperly, just that it could be interpreted either way (also not interested in a semantics arguments about nouns and adjectives before you go there). The crux of my statement was that it's been proven they have sold "bad" fluid, and that's why anyone here might infer that bad meant bad.

yes, what @lx200inAR & @CharlieS said.

I inferred that "bad" meant some kind of basic product performance failure due to the fact that there have been numerous reports here for months of folks getting AHC fluid with "detritus" in it that, if not noticed before use and filtered, causes AHC pumps to fail.

It is certainly possible the two things are unrelated, but far from given.

So I don't hang out in the 200 section much, but I am due for an AHC fluid change. What would I look for? Just pour it out into a clear container and make sure there's no solids in it before I use it? Try to confirm with the parts counter that my purchase is not part of a bad batch?

So I don't hang out in the 200 section much, but I am due for an AHC fluid change. What would I look for? Just pour it out into a clear container and make sure there's no solids in it before I use it? Try to confirm with the parts counter that my purchase is not part of a bad batch?
The good fluid should be clear. The bad fluid is sort of foggy and has pieces of a gel like substance.

Thanks for the google-fu....i didn't say you used a word improperly, just that it could be interpreted either way (also not interested in a semantics arguments about nouns and adjectives before you go there). The crux of my statement was that it's been proven they have sold "bad" fluid, and that's why anyone here might infer that bad meant bad.

I had to unblock a certain user just for the laugh. Thank you!

One thing i want to add to the thread:

I personally would not filter anything. It would go straight into the creek behind my house. (im joking)

If the fluid gelled up once, i dont trust it to not do that in my vehicle at some interval which we are just guessing at anyway.
Open it and check it out and if its bad, dont use it. Could be age, (a total guess) could be bad product, could be bad container, we just dont know and frankly is not worth our time here to chase down either. With the cerveza sickness at play, could be someone got tired of their job... who even knows. Like @Madtiger correctly pointed out, its not in the corporate playbook to even acknowledge it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom