Toyota head gasket vs non Toyota head gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 with a 3fe that was rebuilt at a very good machine shop. There was only about 5000 miles on the rebuild and I noticed steam coming out the exhaust.

I diagnosed it to be a leaking head gasket which would allow coolant into the 4 and 5 cylinders. The compression was still good and the engine still ran good. The engine never overheated and and should no signs except for an increasing amount of steam

I tore it down and found that the gasket material between the water passage and cylinders 4 and 5 had started to dissolve. I got the new Toyota gasket and the difference is overwhelming.

Thanks for documenting. Definitely worth going OEM for mission critical items and the HG is the top of that list. 😎

The non Toyota part had so much less metal reinforcement that it probably shouldn't even be considered a replacement part. I have been bad in the past about using non OEM parts but this might convert me to all OEM. The rebuild was done by the prior owner and he paid almost 3,000 for it. 50 dollars save that made 20 times that much rework.

Bummer

Also looks like tap water was used, and did not help the life, only use distilled water and OEM gaskets

I think the only caveat to this is Cometic MLS
The biggest difference is the amount of metal around and between the cylinders. Also the metal around the cylinders is 1 continuous piece on the Toyota part. Also the copper reinforcement around the holes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom