Toyota Beater Build - 1981 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

stokesdead

WinchOutdoors
Threads
The Toyota Beater Build has begun, and I made a video to document the process. Check out one of the latest things I've purchased to annoy my wife and hopefully be entertained in the process. If you like the video, share it with your buddies. If you don't like the video, then share it with all your Ex's.
🍻
Happy Friday!
🥃

1981 Toyota 4WD Beater Build

My very first 4x4 was an '82 mini truck on 33's and it was awesome. Mostly wheel the 80 series these days but was feeling nostalgic and so I picked up this 81 Flatbed and I am looking forward to wrenching on it some and getting it out on the trails this fall.

Last edited:
looks like fun.. will it be a driver or a trail rig only?
I've got a clear title for it. If all goes well, I'll have it back out on the road soon. The diffs are either spooled or welded, haven't been inside it yet, but should still be good to haul stuff to the dump or make a run to the hardware store in town. With that said, I won't be selling the landcruisers anytime soon so it won't be a daily driver. lol.

I rebuilt the Weber carburetor, ordered a pressure regulator and a trans-dapt intake adapter from Summit and headed back to the truck to install the parts and try to get it home. It didn't go well lol. The intake adapter has a port that leaked vacuum even though it didn't match up on the manifold so I thought it would seal. I may have other leaks as well.

Next, I need to check compression first and get a better idea of the condition of this motor. Then inspect the vacuum hoses and intake manifold. Check timing. Check fluids. Etc.

Last edited:
Getting closer and closer to that dump run. It took two and a half weeks but I was finally able to get the truck home and in the garage. I have a load of trash I need to haul off so getting this truck running is top priority. lol Hope everybody is having a great week!

Update: The flatbed takes its first trip to the dump!

You’re killing it with the videos. Puts a smile on my face with each update. Now that she’s made her first trash run I think she’s ready for a car show. That old truck is sure to get more attention than any concours restoration.

Got to take the pickup out wheeling a bit and it did great. The rear flexed very well, and the front did pretty fair. Unfortunately, the factory push-pull steering is toast and I pretty much have to do some sort of crossover setup. Currently looking into what is the cheapest solution to solve that issue and probably do an axle service at the same time. The truck also got a bit of a transformation, but you'll have to watch the video to see that! Big fun and lots of work ahead!

Last edited:
crossover and brake upgrades are must have for SA rigs.
look around for an old double arm (lo steer)
although hysteer can be had pretty cheap now days.

crossover and brake upgrades are must have for SA rigs.
look around for an old double arm (lo steer)
although hysteer can be had pretty cheap now days.

looks like you have enough lift for High steer.. I'm just finishing mine up

Any specific tips? The Sky's Offroad Combo kit is looking tempting for getting everything at once.

we are planning on using some sky bits on the 85.
getting the big brake adapters and pitman. i already have on old AP hysteer set up to go on.

I attempted to upload some photos but got the message that my files were too large. Ill have to get them hosted or get a website of my own to host them on so that I can share some photos here. Til that time, I have another youtube video up and will share it here with you guys for convenience.

In the video I install a new shifter bushing and shifter seat and fab up a battery hold down. Basic stuff but needed before I dive in deep getting this truck ready for wheeling here in a few weeks.

An opportunity to drive in a really cool event put the 1981 Toyota 4WD flatbed project into high gear as I push to finish this build in less than 2 weeks. It will see a lot of hard road and trail miles, so it needs to be solid reliable ol' truck to keep up.

Last edited:
Truck did great on the Old School ride. I had wanted to get a front bumper on before the ride but didn't quite make it. Anyway, I got the front crossmember strengthened up and welded in some m12 nuts to bolt into and now the truck has a winch bumper that you can actually use for recovery. Kind of at a crossroads with the build. May end up listing it for sale soon and trying to pick up something a bit larger. Tough for this ol guy to get in and out of the small cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom