Toyo Open Country A/T 285R75 18 review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What kind of mileage did you get off road?

No change from the 315R75 16" GY MT/R's. MPG fully loaded (with 10-days of food and gear :rolleyes:) pulling the trailer; 65-80mph on the highway; alot of gravel roads, etc.: Averaged between 10.5-12.5mpg over the near 2,300 mile trip.

The extra heft of these tires compared to the MT/R's (+15lbs each!), I am sure, contribute to the 'no net gain MPG'. I now think the weight of the tire/wheel combo actually has more effect on MPG than the actual tread type.

No change from the 315R75 16" GY MT/R's. MPG fully loaded (with 10-days of food and gear :rolleyes:) pulling the trailer; 65-80mph on the highway; alot of gravel roads, etc.: Averaged between 10.5-12.5mpg over the near 2,300 mile trip.

The extra heft of these tires compared to the MT/R's (+15lbs each!), I am sure, contribute to the 'no net gain MPG'. I now think the weight of the tire/wheel combo actually has more effect on MPG than the actual tread type.
Interesting, you would think rolling resistance would be the larger factor since it is consistent.

Spresso, didn't you lift your rig (body and suspension) slightly recently? Are your 315 records with the lift included? Perhaps the areas you visited on this trip had more Ethanol in their gas? I dunno, just throwing some guesses out there.

Spresso, didn't you lift your rig (body and suspension) slightly recently? Are your 315 records with the lift included? Perhaps the areas you visited on this trip had more Ethanol in their gas? I dunno, just throwing some guesses out there.

No change to lift or BL. The only difference is now I am sans the 1" front spacers (I like the steering alot better without the spacers). Gas was consistently non-ethanol and 87/88 octane with a variety of altitudes between 2,700-9,100', paved/non-paved over 2,300 miles.

The trip results mirror the same results I have found driving in and around Reno.

I am willing to bet now if the AT's were the same weight as the MT/R's (-15lbs) I would surely see a little improvement in the MPG. But I have said in the past: If I could find an AT tread with an MT sidewall and carcass construction this would be my find. And I really like the 285 width so far...but when I get into hunting season later this year I'll be able to comment on the mud/snow/rougher trail use performance aspect of this combo. But so far its thumbs up!

Tire experience update:

Now with 8,000 miles on the tires I have this to add:

Tire tread is 25% worn :rolleyes:. After putting them through their paces, so to speak, last weekend with 120-miles of class I, II, III and a little class IV trails they chunked out more than I would have liked or expected (heavily and heavy 100 pulling an AT Horizon).

Traction performance is incredible! Especially for an AT type tread. But this seems to come from a relatively soft rubber compound which results in easy to chunk tread blocks when on class III and IV type rock trails. Additionally the soft rubber compound shortens their real world life span on my rig and the trails I travel to about 20,000 miles :rolleyes:! Kinda weird, at least to me, Toyo has a tread life guarantee of 50,000 miles (16"), 40,000 miles (17") but no tread life guarantee for 18"+:mad:.

I originally thought this size in the E rated tread might yield better durability results than Ken reported from his experiences with the same tire in the D rated. But my experience has proved my hypothesis wrong.

However I absolutely am a fanatic about the 285R75 18 size!!! I will not go back to the 315R75 16 based on my experiences to date. One additional side caveat: They require significantly less air volume to refill from air-downs! This results in fewer CO2 tank refills and significantly faster air up times!

Maxxis recently introduced their Big Horn in the 285R75 18". Hopefully more choices in this size will be coming on-line.

Just thought someone might want to know...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. My Toyo MTRs should be about worn out by the time you have this nail down and I will know exactly what to replace them with.

Without all the expensive trial and error stuff. :lol:

Thanks for the update. My Toyo MTRs should be about worn out by the time you have this nail down and I will know exactly what to replace them with.

Without all the expensive trial and error stuff. :lol:

Story of my life...

Sorry to hear that you are having the same premature wear characteristics that I experienced.

But I do miss that highway ride and the glue like grip on the rocks.

ken

Sorry to hear that you are having the same premature wear characteristics that I experienced.

But I do miss that highway ride and the glue like grip on the rocks.

ken

Yeah...they got a pretty good workout last weekend. They chunked more than I would have expected. And like your experience they are wearing rapidly. But damn...like you said again...they sure are tacky off and on road. If I could find a dozen of them for about 2-bones a piece I wouldn't be complain'n :D.

I guess no one makes the perfect tire for me...yet!

Update: I now have 12k on these tires and per the dealer the wear has slowed. So I assume what the dealer told me about the dual density compound, what I originally thought was BS, is looking like a true statement.

Update: I now have 12k on these tires and per the dealer the wear has slowed. So I assume what the dealer told me about the dual density compound, what I originally thought was BS, is looking like a true statement.

Any chance to check them out in mud yet?
Phrased another way, did you go hunting this weekend, if so did it get muddy?:D

Any chance to check them out in mud yet?
Phrased another way, did you go hunting this weekend, if so did it get muddy?:D

No I haven't had them in deep mud yet. But we both know pretty much how they're going to do in that :rolleyes:. For everything else they're pretty darn good so far...but they'll be like :banana: peels in mud.

No I haven't had them in deep mud yet. But we both know pretty much how they're going to do in that :rolleyes:. For everything else they're pretty darn good so far...but they'll be like :banana: peels in mud.

I was surprised with how well they did in mud on my Ford. I drove from Denio, through the Sheldon to Vya and down to Gerlach through snow and snow melted mud and didn't have any problems. Across the Sheldon wasn't hard pack or anything, so they got a work out. And that was with the bed empty. I was right around the 20k on mileage, mine were almost worn out, I removed them with 24k on them.

Jack

I was surprised with how well they did in mud on my Ford. I drove from Denio, through the Sheldon to Vya and down to Gerlach through snow and snow melted mud and didn't have any problems. Across the Sheldon wasn't hard pack or anything, so they got a work out. And that was with the bed empty. I was right around the 20k on mileage, mine were almost worn out, I removed them with 24k on them.

Jack

Well that's good to know! I don't need or want to think about buying any more tires very soon :rolleyes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom