Toyo Open Country A/T 285R75 18 review? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arrgh.... Dan !! Those tires have GOT to go... man.... Where's the tread? :D

I think you'll be happy with those tires, they are surprisingly good in the snow even on a fullsize diesel pickup where the weight balance is notoriously bad. I bet you'll have fun trying to wear them out - as long as it is still fun to pay $5 for gas ;)

I think you'll be happy with those tires, they are surprisingly good in the snow even on a fullsize diesel pickup where the weight balance is notoriously bad. I bet you'll have fun trying to wear them out - as long as it is still fun to pay $5 for gas ;)

Yes...I may be dusting off the old mountain bike for my off-road excursions :rolleyes:.

New times are upon us...that's for sure!

I am curious to see how the 18" size will actually do when aired down and rolling across rocky terrain...which will occur at the end of the month and beginning of July. More info to follow as I collect more 'data'.

Looks awesome!

FWIW, I have the Toyo OC ATs in 16s.

Great on road, but I've been less than impressed off.

My BFG MTs were far superior.

Looks awesome!

FWIW, I have the Toyo OC ATs in 16s.

Great on road, but I've been less than impressed off.

My BFG MTs were far superior.

Mac,
What type of terrain did you not like the Toyo OC AT? Mud I imagine?

They sure worked good on the one rocky trail I've had them on but I reserve full judgment until I have a few thousand miles of trail use under them. I WAS surprised how much better this size and/or tread style was on gravel and washboard than my MT/R's...

Yeah, especially mud.

But they sure are quiet on the street. :hillbilly:

Mac,
What type of terrain did you not like the Toyo OC AT? Mud I imagine?

They sure worked good on the one rocky trail I've had them on but I reserve full judgment until I have a few thousand miles of trail use under them. I WAS surprised how much better this size and/or tread style was on gravel and washboard than my MT/R's...

Yeah, especially mud.

But they sure are quiet on the street. :hillbilly:

My only real complaint with the GY MT/R's I ran for the past 3-years is their shoddy case construction; they just won't stay balanced. Even on-pavement during the same day...they run balanced and unbalanced during the same day. I imagine heat?

They Toyo OC MT comes in the 285R75 18 width also...which is probably what I'll end up with if the AT just doesn't cut it. But I wish they would offer the 285 width in the 35" for 16" rim...then I'd be pretty damn happy.

I'm curious, and time will tell me this answer, how the 18" will work for my off-road use when aired down.

After seeing your rig last night I have to say they don't look so bad in person.

Well...for better or worse I've always subscribed to the "form follows function" rule...for which my pin striping is a perfect testimony :rolleyes:! So damn the looks :lol:.

Seriously...I expect to give up a little mud performance. But having said that the MT/R's are only average in mud anyway. And by all rights they should be WAY better on snow and ice...since the MT/R's were fairly pathetic in these conditions.

But time will tell...for the time being they are very quite and returned the truck to something that is a bit more fun to drive on hard surfaces. And, so far in 75%hwy/25%city driving, I'm getting about 45-50 additional MPT.

Last edited:
Well...for better or worse I've always subscribed to the "form follows function" rule...for which my pin striping is a perfect testimony :rolleyes:! So damn the looks :lol:.

Seriously...I expect to give up a little mud performance. But having said that the MT/R's are only average in mud anyway. And by all rights they should be WAY better on snow and ice...since the MT/R's were fairly pathetic in these conditions.

But time will tell...for the time being they are very quite and returned the truck to something that is a bit more fun to drive on hard surfaces. And, so far in 75%hwy/25%city driving, I'm getting about 45-50 additional MPG.
45-50 MPG!!!!!:eek:

I want a set!!!!!:flipoff2:

45-50 MPG!!!!!:eek:

I want a set!!!!!:flipoff2:

Oooops :rolleyes:...fixed it. Now, thanks to you, I only get 45-50 MPT (miles per tank) more...

I sure liked it ALOT better when I was getting 45-50 MPG more from these tires ;p.

Wow, that's a very significant increase in fuel mileage! Do you have any solid numbers? Are you getting like 15-16 mpg now?

Oooops :rolleyes:...fixed it. Now, thanks to you, I only get 45-50 MPT (miles per tank) more...

I sure liked it ALOT better when I was getting 45-50 MPG more from these tires ;p.

So that translates to 1.5 - 2 MPG better?
That would get me into the over 16MPG range. :hmm:

I had been consistently getting 13.5mpg consistently with the MT/R's in combined driving (you need to know I am carrying alot of extra weight: Bumpers winch, HD sliders, AO drawers, big recovery and tools gear, fridge/freeze, etc.). It would go to 14mpg for highway unless I kept it at 2,100rpm where I'd get another .5 to 1mpg (taking it to 14.5 to 15mpg for highway at or under 63-65mph).

I just filled up this morning and got 14.5mpg for combined driving with AC on part of the time.

Around town seems to be about the same with the Toyo OC AT's (E-rated...same casing and side walls as the Toyo OC MT!) or slightly better. I surmise this is due to the ~18% heavier tire/wheel combo. Note: These Toyo OC AT's are HEAVY!

And I suspect the reason my highway mileage is better has to do with the surface friction overcoming the weight disadvantage.

In a little less than 2-weeks we'll be heading out for the Adventure Trailer's Hurricane LakeFest in Easter Arizona. Although it will be pulling the trailer and loaded down I'll still be able to determine if these tires are more efficient overall. And this trip will allow me to report back on their trail worthiness (or lack of possibly).

If Goodyear could make their MT/R casing/tread with better overall quality control so that they are #1) Round and #2) They could be and stay balanced I think it would be an incredible tire. Lighterweight; not that much of a MPG penalty; not as noisy as other MT's out there; great durability and wear characteristics. But I don't think I have to wonder if GY will ever get it figured out :rolleyes:.

Just an update: Got back from a 2,300 mile trip to AT's Hurricane Lake event. On the return side we explored the Mogollon Rim section of Arizona along with an overnight at Toroweep (North Rim of the Grand Canyon).

Anyway, this trip didn't allow for any real rough trail use however we did get to test these tires on approximately 400-miles of dirt/gravel/rock/washboard trails. I ran them at 42psi and even over the rough washboard (140-miles of washboard:rolleyes:) to/fro the Tuweep campsite they performed perfectly. The 285 width really works well for my set up and seems to eat up washboard better than the MT/R 315's.

Just more FYI.

Just an update: Got back from a 2,300 mile trip to AT's Hurricane Lake event. On the return side we explored the Mogollon Rim section of Arizona along with an overnight at Toroweep (North Rim of the Grand Canyon).

Anyway, this trip didn't allow for any real rough trail use however we did get to test these tires on approximately 400-miles of dirt/gravel/rock/washboard trails. I ran them at 42psi and even over the rough washboard (140-miles of washboard:rolleyes:) to/fro the Tuweep campsite they performed perfectly. The 285 width really works well for my set up and seems to eat up washboard better than the MT/R 315's.

Just more FYI.
What kind of mileage did you get off road?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom