Toy Corolla COP harness -weird pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

morganism

SunkCostFallacy
Threads
Hey pro's, Mom's Corolla had a no start, and as i was chasing grounds, i came across a weird , plug in sensor.

OOPs, Appears to be plugged into the COP ignitor harness, and is a one wire sensor.

It has an epoxied window, and a 45o angled sheetmetal clip, looks like it just fits over a different cable, like some sort of Hall sensor.

Any idea what it supposed to measure? Where it should be attached?

2001 Toyota Corolla

Last edited:
Wasn't able to upload pics last week, was a size limit on uploads.

Got her starter changed out, but car is detonating every couple seconds. Tried it around the grounds, looks like will try on injector wire next.

asked at Fixya

Folks have a 2003 Toyota Corolla. Did a starter replace and noticed a sensor not attached to anything near the coil packs. It's in the same wiring bundle as the coils, and has a plug connector-single wire.
In the location diagram, it looks like it is the noise reduction cap, but it only has one wire, and no bolt down lug. It looks like a corner of a metal picture frame, with a 90 angle sheetmetal "cage" that looks to go around another wire to look for some signal. The other angle has a 1" square sensor with a black (epoxy) window on it. The wiring is pretty short, say 4" so it has to clip around something near there. Only things near are the coil pack grounds, the injector leads, gas line, and accel cable.

Im stumped,dealer says noise suppressor V1. Any idea what this sensor should be clipped around?

Toy noise suppressors tend to look like this.

Standard Motor Products RC31

my mystery sensor is sitting atop the oil filler cap here.

Last edited:
I am thinking this may be related to the IGF signal going to from ECU. I didn't notice if there was one on the other side of engine block.

Not sure if the 1ZZ engine w VVTi has this tho, and why it would even run if its not attached, unless it is just triggering by being near the coilpacks. It seems no signal shuts down fuel delivery. maybe it's a G signal sensor?

"
The IGf signal is generated by the igniter on EFI/TCCS systems. The ECU supplies a 5 volt reference through a pull-up resistor to the lGf signal generation circuit in the igniter. When a spark plug fires, the IGf signal generation circuit pulls the five volts to ground, causing a pulse to be sensed at the ECU. One pulse is generated by the igniter for each ignition event which is carried out.

The IGf signal confirms that ignition has actually occurred. In the event of a failure to trigger an ignition event, the ECU will shut down injector pulses to protect the catalyst from flooding with raw fuel. Typically this failsafe shutdown occurs within eight to eleven IGt signals after the IGf signal is lost. This condition can occur with any primary ignition system fault, an igniter failure, a problem with the IGf circuit wiring, or with a faulty ECU."

"
There are three signals which are necessary to operate the fuel injectors. These are the Ne, G, and IGf signals. Inside the ECU, the Ne Signal is used to produce an injection chive signal. The G signal is used to determine the timing of the injection signals. The IGf signal is monitored for fuel delivery fail-safe. (With Conventional EFI, the IG signal is used to produce the injection drive signal.)

The ECU cannot pulse the injector without an Ne signal and will not start or run if this signal is not present. If the G signal is not present while cranking the engine, the ECU will not be able to identify when to produce the injection signal. The result will be the same, no injection pulse. If the IGf signal is not present, the ECU will go into fuel fail-safe by stopping injection pulses.

If, however, the ECU loses the G signal with the engine running, the engine will continue to run because the timing of injection signals is locked in once the engine starts."

LGf Signal - Toyota Engine Control Systems - Toyota Service Blog

edit:
Engine running fine, But getting some detonation every 4-5 seconds, irregularly, only notice it at idle, or stoplight. Have done most of the "Readiness Drive Monitor" but not the long drive or the temp set.
I have both up and downstream O2 sensors disconnected, (for a year now) because of the firmware bug of the 45deg temp swing between coolant sensor, and exterior temp sensor.
Same gas mileage in city, and just a bit more oil use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom