towing my 40 behind 08 tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:bounce2:I have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 4x4 Crewmax that is rated at towing 10,500 lbs. It has the tow package installed from the dealer. I have ordered a brake controller that plugs into the factory harness. The question I have is I am going to borrow a trailer to tow my 40 from Texas to Moab this May (right about 1000 miles each way). I have never towed anything this heavy this far and wanted to make sure I am set up for this. I have read about people having weight distrubution hitches (WDH) for heavy loads. I am assuming that my 40 weighs in at approx. 5000lbs and the trailer about 2000lbs, so 7000lbs total. Does anyone have any advice on a WDH and if I would need one or not for something like this? I will be pulling it on a flatbed car hauler trailer.

nick

Nick,

I don't think you need a WDH. Buy a Tekonsha Voyager trailer controller if you don't have one already.

Please be sure to inspect the trailer tires and make sure the bearings are well lubed up. I've seen and many trailer tires/wheel bearing failures.

Be a good idea to have spare tires for the trailer, small floor jack, air impact, wooden blocks for just in case..

Charles

Last edited:
Thanks charles. I'll make sure I have all the stuff you mentioned. Thanks for the help. I bought a tekonsha p3
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html

Nick

P3 looks like a nice brake controller. Tekonsha makes nice brake controllers.

One more item to take is a CB radio. You can talk to the truck drivers if you get lost, looking for a place to buy gas or eat, or if you're stuck somewhere. A hand held one will work well if you don't want to mess with wiring/installation.

I have towed a 40 behind my 08 Tundra a while now. It tows fine without a WDH, in fact I would never have considered one until I read about the 5,000lb limit without one. It does make a difference with the ride of the truck, and it is probably more so with a heavier load. Brakes are the main thing tho. Nothing makes you feel less in control than if you can't stop.

Last edited:
I have towed a 40 behind my 08 Tundra a while now. It tows fine without a WDH, in fact I would never have considered one until I read about the 5,000lb limit without one. It does make a difference with the ride of the truck, and it is probably more so with a heavier load. Brakes are the main thing tho. Nothing makes you feel less in control than if you can't stop.

One of my buddies from work has a WDH he is going to let me borrow so I'll give it a go. Several other folks have recommended air bags for the rear of the truck to help w/ the load.

nick

Nick,
I tow with the same truck and the same controller. I also have Hellwig airbags, makes a huge difference when the trailer is hooked up. My setup is a 20' flat deck trailer with my 85 4Runner on it. I've never towed with a wdh and I have no problem pulling hills doing 75, no wobble, no sway, nothing.

Here it is:
DSCN0698.jpg

Sounds like I'll be fine. I got my controller installed yesterday, pretty easy with the optional pigtail that plugs in to my existing wiring harness. Bought some new tires yesterday too, Nitto Terra Graplers A/Ts Load Range E. Those tires should help me out with the towing also, seem more heavy duty than the stock tires that came on it.

nick

One more thing that you may already know. use axle straps or at least secure the 40 from the axles, not the frame. The suspension bouncing against racthet straps or even chain binders is not good in the long haul. Let the suspension on the 40 bounce.

GL

Nick,
You may have to play with the placement on the 40 on the trailer to get the right balance/distibution.
Ideally you want about the weight on the trailer 60/40 nose heavy. 50/50 can be squirrely and anything more to the rear can get really squirrely. I Found that my dodge was a happier with more like 65/35. It was a 3500 so it was kind of bouncy when I didn't have a lot of weight on the bumper.

Make sure your receiver AND the ball mount are both rated for weight. Anything less than classV is limited to 500lb tongue weight IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom