Towing Dilemma & In Need of Good Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High Country CO 2006-2014 -> SW Washington 2014
Ok, so following an axle service and overall tune-up, I bit the bullet and added a SC to our 100K mi 97-80 series (as well as a OME 2in Heavy, and ARB front with air Lockers). I've had some regrets because I do not fully feel the added 80-100 horses, and therefore have some questions about my experience towing on a trip we are planning. I plan on adding a Kaymar bumper rated at 7,500lbs this spring, and we have purchased an Earthbound RV (with electric brakes) model with a dry hitch wt. of 5000lbs and a loaded wt. of 6000lbs which would be the towing wt. loaded up. We are planning on taking a 3500mi trip this coming May-June using the SC'd 80 to pull the trailer putting in about 400miles a leg. In order to get out of my neighborbhood I have to go up either Vail Pass or up to the Eisenhor Tunnel, and I'm thinking we are going to head west on 70 through Utah which has it's own climbs. I don't need to scream up the pass roads, but I'd like to push 55mph vs. reports of 30mph on stock cars.

I've thought about purchasing a sprinter van and up-converting to a family cruiser to pull the trailer, but it's only go 320Lb torque, and we will not be able to enjoy the trail with the sprinter- not to mention the $$$'s. I've also thought of trying to pick up a pre-owned Excursion 2003 or 2005, but have heard of reliabliity issues in the 6.0L diesel, again pluss the $$$'s.

So, I'm left thinking that my 80 may be the way to go (nevermind the 8mpg I'm going to be getting) and I'm looking to hear from others WHO HAVE TOWED 5000-6000LB's in a SC'd 80 (285's) what I might expect.

Thank you.
Jeff

My engine experience is totally different from yours, since I'm running a diesel, so I can't comment on that.

What I can comment on though since I towed a 4,000lb ish trailer for a couple summers is that 5-6,000lb will feel like a pretty heavy trailer behind your cruiser, especially compared to towing with a full size rig from one of the Big Three. I didn't find braking was too bad if the trailer brakes were set up well. From what I've read the transmission in the newer trucks (like yours) do okay, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add an extra trans cooler to the system, especially with the hills you'll be climbing.

And for a point of interest, the North American spec 80 series are rated to tow 5,000lb, while in some other markets they are rated for 7,000lb. I don't know that there are any differences between the specs of the trucks either...

If this is being done for a one time trip, my .02 would be to enjoy the scenery from the slow lane. If looking to do this type of towing regularly, look at regearing to 4.56 with your 33's. If you might go up to 35's in the future, go ahead and regear to 4.88's.

Buck

Noting that you are in Colorado, did you have Slee do the supercharger? Did you change out the headgasket and have your injectors cleaned? From what I understand you should feel a noticeable smile on your face with the supercharger...if not contact Christo or Powderpig.

Yes Slee did the install. They did not rec. the HG, but I believe the cleaned the injectors and replaced a the spark plugs. It may just be my expectations. I still have to push the accelerator through the back of the floor board to have noticable pick-up.

That's a heavy trailer. I pull a popup that's maybe 2000 lbs fully loaded up Vail pass, to Eisenhower, etc, 3 kids, mountain bikes, gear, and it sucks really bad. I am lucky to break 30 mph up either one of those passes, it really sucks bad, did I mention it sucks?

I am on 285's, stock gearing, lifted, ARB, so what you are getting doesn't suprise me. If you have the dough and are determined to keep the 80 as a towing platform I think your best bet would be to turbo it or do a V8 swap. That is my long term goal, until then, you can at least pass me on your way up the passes.

Thats what I was afraid of edog. I do not think I'll spend more $$$ on the current engine. My plan may be to swap to a diesel when this one dies. If I can olny push 40 or so up Vail Pass, then I would not expect much better hauling up the eastern slope of Utah in many spots.

I retract my statement, cheers !

What statement?

He probably edited his post, but quickly after posting - therefore no "edited by" tag at the bottom.

I am curious about your situation, I have done some heavy towing with my '96, in fact about the same weight as what you are doing. Mine is N/A (no blower), but I have found that I get about 11mpg pulling up and down hills/mtns. Yes, when going uphill the truck will not accelerate, but it also doesn't get below 55mph, and the pedal is not to the floor.

I may need to have it checked out. A little more info: I live at 8800 ft and when I leave the area, I have to go to about 12,000 ft in the span of 8 miles. To push 70mph in the blown LC, the pedal is on the floor at the steepest portion of these grades.

Assuming there's not something else going on, I'd say most of the power loss you feel is altitude-related. That where the turbocharger may make a bigger difference than the supercharger, since it provides more boost (which will be accompanied by greater install and maintenance costs.)

If altitude is the answer to the power loss, then consider that most places you'd go are likely considerably lower than your home base. Admittedly, one doesn't want to feel like has to put up with doggy performance around home, but I assume you're usually not towing the trailer then.

If it were me, if the performance is adequate at lower altitude, I'd consider how much towing you really plan to do in such relatively thin air. After all, most places you're likely to travel will be lower where performance will be much better.

The high elevation is a killer on horsepower, supercharged or not. Just less oxygen for the engine to use. Superchargers help but can't replace what doesn't exist. Take your truck to sea level and you'll find a great increase in power.

have it dynoed to see what kind of power you are realy making, then go from there. $50.00 at most dyno shops, you will have to find one that is able to do all wheel drive. i would think you would realy be able to tell the extra 100 horse power, and the extra torqe should help pulling, must be somthing not quite right. wonder if they retarded the timing a bunch to keep it from knocking, you should still feel the extra power at altitude because your non s/c engine would be performing at a greater loss than at sea level.

Put a smaller SC pulley (2.8" from pulleyboys) on it to compensate for the altitude and add an intercooler to the SC, Much better performance.. My truck with 35's and stock gears is very quick and a lot of fun to drive..
good luck.
if you want intercooler info just do a search for threads by blarsen

add lower gears. youll feel the difference when towing alot more than with just the blower alone...plus the motor will be back in its 'sweet spot' which helps, especially at alititude.

I may need to have it checked out. A little more info: I live at 8800 ft and when I leave the area, I have to go to about 12,000 ft in the span of 8 miles. To push 70mph in the blown LC, the pedal is on the floor at the steepest portion of these grades.
regarding this statement, I don't know what your other vehicle is or how much power it has, but my bone stock grand cherokee with a 5.2 v8 ( known as a fast vehicle) needs to have the accelerator pushed most of the way to the floor if not to the floor on the steepest portions of either of those roads to hold 70 mph.

You have a bigger vehicle, more heavy accessories, smaller engine, though supercharged, that is less revvy than most on the road. If you do a diesel I'd be surprised if you get that much of a performance gain compared to where you are right now with the SC. If you do a V8 swap you'll be talking about BAD gas mileage to go with an expensive swap. If you want to do this sort of towing you need a better tow vehicle. Also the legality of this setup towing is very questionable. If it were me I'd get the excursion and love the towing capacity and space. There are TONS of 6.0's out there running around right now towing big loads without computer problems.

I just made a run up Vail Pass and back. The unloaded LC did just fine, just does not make me think "wow she's SC'd", but I could reach 80mph without too much difficulty, but when I let-off, it took some time to get back into acceleration. Our other car is an V8 XC90 which handles CO I-70 with ease. I'm not looking for the same experience, I just do not want to be that guy going 45mph on the interstate.

- I'll check into the dyno
- The pulley deal may be more complex than I'm willing to spend/tinker, how involved is the intercooler?
- A no-go on the gears, I just dropped a bunch of $$$ on the rig and am finished.
- On the Excursion issue, there are plenty of 2006 6.0L available, but the horror stories are in abundance on the problems Ford has had with that engine. There are feweer 7.3l 2003's avialable with lower miles, but I've been told that is the engine of choice. Too bad the anti-suv crowd pressured the Excursion into extinction.
- Our alternative tow vehicle would be a 2010 Sprinter conversion van, it's just that no 4x4 upon reaching the destination if we go that direction.

Any info on Denver area Dyno places?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom