tow rating and tongue weight (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So- i have an 80 series that has been bastardized into a 4200lb -fzj55 and im wondering how tow ratings will be affected compared to stock with the 700ish lb weight reduction????

should tongue weight be increased to make up for slightly lightish rear end? or should i add weight in the bed to get back to stock/ normal? and does tow rating increase or decrease with the large weight change?

(also stock height lift/ and 35s- drives like stock-no goofy lift characteristics )

-towing novice

IMG_0960.JPG

Conservatively estimated, If We were to start would be the standard 500 lbs @ the tongue and 3300-3600 lbs @ max loaded. Was the overall length " wheel base" shortened? Do you plan to run a factory receiver hitch system or aftermarket, are some other things to thing about? We haven't read through your complete build thread, just yet. With the overall weight and length of close to a Jeep Wrangler "LJ sub-model" representation, We wouldn't pass it by us or surprised if we were close to that. Then again, It is just an option from what we can gather.

Best wishes.

Tow ratings are mostly based on what the brakes can stop. Best to assume that the combined GVW limit still applies. Tongue weight is realistically limited by combination vehicle handling and what the rear spring set-up can support w/o pointing the headlights at the moon.

about 500lbs net weight came off the rear springs in the build process. So 500lbs of tongue weight would barely sink it an inch or so.....back to stock vehicle rake. the springs are good for an extra 100-150lbs per corner over stock springs so i could easily add 700lbs of tongue weight and still be close to level rake.

i will likely make my own hitch a tad beefier than the stock hitch and triangulate with both frame rails and main rear crosmmember for class 3-4 capacity.

wheelbase is stock. brakes are stock 80.....so they suck :) and i would assume any trailer would have some type of surge or hydraulic assist braking at a minimum.

---but i did stay at a holiday inn last night and i will likely remove the LSPV system alltogether and regain slightly better than stock braking.

its a 1994 -80 series drivetrain and chassis and has the "bus" tranny which toyota originally developed for the Coaster 20+ passenger buses with gvrw 15k+ lbs.....so tranny should be fine with any load.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom