TORQUE Wrench for Pulley Bolt (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding cheater bar on the torque wrench will definitely change the torque value. There is a formula for that, just can't remember? :grinpimp:

Sorry, but I disagree. A cheater bar will not affect the torque value on a click type torque wrench. Have you noticed that when you turn the handle on a Snap On torque wrench the handle shortens by and inch or two. The clicking portion is going on at the head of the wrench. Not at the handle. Now if you put a crows foot socket/wrench on the end of it, it needs to be at 90 degrees. If it is straight out, then that will affect the torque value.

One thing that you could do is buy long box end wrench that fits the bolt that you need to remove. Then weld the correct adapter to the opposite end so it fits the torque wrench. IIRC, If the newly made wrench/adapter is 12" center to center, then the 309 ft-lbs would be torqued correctly with the wrench set at 154.5 ft-lbs. If you are using foot pounds, then you can cut the value in half for every 12" that is added to the head of the torque wrench. I am not 100% on the actual value but if someone wants the formula I can look it up in 43.13 (FAA issued maintenance manual). The book is not currently in front of me.

well dang... I lost the thread...

But in the mean time, read this...

Is a Harbor Freight Torque Wrench Really Bad? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Pretty sure Pelican has a great thread on the HF and torque wrenches period, but I can't find it now. I also read posts on calibrating it, using leverage bars (bad idea) and other great wrenches...

Read the link and I'll try and find it, but I'm almost POSITIVE I read where using leverage is a BAD idea on torque wrenches... lbs PER FOOT. So add a 2 foot bar??? See where I'm going with this?

Oh, and this is Pelican as in Porsche. And tons of guys make their livings off working on these delicate things... These guys are not weekend warriors...

Sorry, but I disagree. A cheater bar will not affect the torque value on a click type torque wrench. Have you noticed that when you turn the handle on a Snap On torque wrench the handle shortens by and inch or two. The clicking portion is going on at the head of the wrench. Not at the handle. Now if you put a crows foot socket/wrench on the end of it, it needs to be at 90 degrees. If it is straight out, then that will affect the torque value.

One thing that you could do is buy long box end wrench that fits the bolt that you need to remove. Then weld the correct adapter to the opposite end so it fits the torque wrench. IIRC, If the newly made wrench/adapter is 12" center to center, then the 309 ft-lbs would be torqued correctly with the wrench set at 154.5 ft-lbs. If you are using foot pounds, then you can cut the value in half for every 12" that is added to the head of the torque wrench. I am not 100% on the actual value but if someone wants the formula I can look it up in 43.13 (FAA issued maintenance manual). The book is not currently in front of me.

Please post the formula to see if that is the same one I've been looking for:cheers: Thanks.

The formula for torque is simple: it is the length of the lever arm times force (pounds in the US).

If you add an exenter to the drive end of the wrench (not the handle end), then the measured torque increases by the fraction that the lever arm length increases. For example, if your wrench is 18 inches long (C-C) and you add an 18 inch extender, then the torque is doubled. If you add a 9 inch extension, it goes up by 50% more.

You don't need an expensive wrench to accurately apply torque. If you weigh 155 pounds and stand on the end of a 2 foot breaker bar, that is 310 foot pounds by definition. It is probably at least as accurate as cheap uncalibrated wrenches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom