To Repaint, or Not to Repaint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few years back I bought John's sweet Amazon Green LC200.
She runs like a top, but the clear coat on the roof is starting to peel, and there are gravel chips on the hoot that go clear to the metal.

I'm thinking of re-painting her in the original color (i have a great body shop) but wonder if this would hurt the resale value much. This is a secondary concern to her just looking nice everyday, but if it badly hurts resale I might not do it.

Thoughts?

1696001552017.png

I know very little about body work...

Can they strip and re-clearcoat the roof? (The spoiler over my rear window is peeling and I've considered trying to fix that similarly)

I would think a good body shop could fix the paint chips without needing to do a full paint job. Sand, paint, blend, clearcoat. Or something.

I am a super OCD oem paint type of person. Having said that, and following many auctions, and low mile cars etc, Painting the hood or the roof due to oxidation on cars known to have issues like that in certain climates, is the right thing to do.

I just sent my 100 series hood to paint (100 series forum thread) due to full oxidization. When you sell (I keep before and after shots) and show that the reason you did it was preserve the vehicle and upkeep, new buyer appreciates it.

I would fix it before it gets worse.

Can they strip and re-clearcoat the roof?

My exact question.

I'm no expert but assuming you use a reputable shop and keep all the documentation I doubt it hurts resale value when you go to sell years down the road. I'd rather buy a car that has a high quality repaint than one with paint peeling off.

I took my 80 to a couple shops to discuss this, and they both told me they could carefully sand off the clear and reshoot it. I decided not to because I abuse it anyway, but I think it's certainly possible.
My advice with auto paint is always to ask them to show you a few vehicles waiting for pick up and to show you what they did to them so you can judge their actual work, and to ask for a walk around the shop and paint booth. It should look very orderly and clean inside. If not, go somewhere else. I've had great auto paint work done and crappy auto paint work done - the latter is pretty hard to undo.

I wouldn't have them attempt to remove the clear coat. If you're going to go that direction, just have them repaint the entire roof and hood. As far as value, these aren't like Porsche's. Porsche people are NUTS about stuff like paint and original paint (other than bumper covers) is a pretty big deal. On Land Cruisers? Hardly. The rig will be worth much more with paint in good condition, even if it's been resprayed vs looking shabby with failing clear coat

I say embrace the patina!

Repaint. Use Google maps to find body shops around your local Mercedes and BMW dealerships and see which ones are filled with their cars. Those will be the ones doing the best work.

Wrap the roof and hood. Maybe even White on the roof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom