TLCA Event Inspection Standards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLCA Event Inspection Standards/TLCA Guidebook Current Checklist for events

Sorry it is a bit scrambled. It is an excel file. Email me if you want me to forward it to you.

TLCA SAFETY INSPECTION FORM Time In:
To be filled out by Chief Safety Inspector Time Out:
Drivers Name: 4wd Experience: Yes No

Type Vehicle: Rear Locker: Yes No
Front Locker: Yes No
License Plate No: Tire Size: Stock 31" 33"& up
TLCA Reqm'ts: Pass/Fail Optional Reqm'ts: Pass/Fail
Service Brakes (use 2nd gear) P F Headlights/running lights P F

Parking Brake (use 3rd gear) P F Turn Signals P F

Tire Tread + inflated spare tire P F Wipers P F

Brake Lights P F Windshield P F

Roll Bar or Hard Top P F Exhaust P F

Seat Belts - one set each occupant P F Steering P F

Fire Extingusher P F No excessive leaks P F

First Aid Kit P F Jack P F

Antenna Length (54" max) P F Recovery Gear (Strap) P F

Coolant Recovery System P F

Discretionary: Yes/No
CB Radio Y N
Winch Y N
Spare Parts Y N

Description of Driver/Vehicle Reqm'ts: - 3 Rated Trails - - 4 Rated Trails - - 4+ Trails -
Experience: 3 Rated: Novice 4 Rated: Experienced 4+: Exper. Only
Tire Size: 3 Rated: Stock 4 Rated: 31" Min. 4+: 33" min.
Front Locker: 3 Rated: Not Req'd 4 Rated: Recommended 4+: see note 2 & 3
Rear Locker: 3 Rated: Not Req'd 4 Rated: Recommended 4+: see note 2 & 3

Approved For: (Circle one): 3 Rated Trails 4 Rated Trails 4+ Rated Trails
(Red Sticker) (Yellow Sticker) (Green Sticker)

Note: 1. Vehicles MUST be street legal to get to trail heads.
2. 4+ Trails require (1) locker minimum

Note: If your vehicle fails inspection, please make the appropriate corrections
then go to the Safety Inspection Committee for reinspection.

Eric.. are these your suggestions for requirements? If so, I have a number of issues that I think would always disqualify an otherwise extremely safe rig.

Those are not my guidelines. They are the guidelines in the TLCA Event Guidebook. The book was accepted about a year and a half ago by the TLCA BOD as a guide for events to follow. I don't believe that it was ever required for every
TLCA event. As the former EVP, I never told events that they had to use the list but I made it available to them. I know Cruise Moab follows this checklist exactly. Cruisin the Woods, I think used this list as I was asked basically the same questions when attending there. I cannot speak for the Eastern events. I know LSLC has the list and will probably be using some form of it for the LSLC Roundup. Really, TLCA can't hold the events to use this checklist unless they change the bylaws/SOPs to reflect this checklist. I don't foresee that happening. Our big problem is that some events use a really loosely run inspection and others use a tight inspection. The lack of uniformity has caused some problems for some folks as they were let in at one event and then they couldn't pass at the next event without any changes to the rig. Cruise Moab has to be more strict due to some issues with their BLM permit which are not necessarily part of TLCA safety requirements.

Ok.. a lot has been said above about service and parking brakes. Eric's checklist raises a number of other "guidelines" that prevent dedicated trail rigs from passing, if the guidelines are inforced. These include the following:

turn signals
spare tire
windshield
windshield wipers
License plate
Street legal to get to trail heads

I don't see why a dedicated trail rig with apropriate liability insurance that is trailered to the trail head should have to meet these "safety guidelines". Frankly, I view the above items as absurd and I would like to see the BOD eliminate them from the safety requirements.

Jack,

The best advice I can say is don't go to Cruise Moab if you are concerned with your checklist. Cruise Moab you will need a license plate, because you travel down highways to get to and from the trailheads. Some trails are one way with highway travel on both ends. I'm thinking that the BLM requires all vehicles participating in Cruise Moab to be registered as part of their regulations for Rising Sun to host an event. I would check with Rising Sun for exact rules and regulations. I believe Rising Sun has no real safety rules or checklist of their own. I think everything they do is required by either TLCA or the BLM as part of their permit requirement.

Heck, my best advice is call the chapter before you register if you think you have something that isn't up to par. I actually failed a tech inspection at Cruise Moab in 2000 because my headlights did not work. They really did, but the sun was in the inspectors eyes. And he could see them on high beam so I did get passed. I questioned the inspector as I had read the TLCA bylaws and SOPS and I thought all I needed to have is brake lights. At the time that is what the checklist said. That was the first time I was informed of differing rules for a sanctioned event.

I think TLCA needs to have generalized rules and a general checklist. Then the events need to put their specific requirements in the registration confirmation letter they send out if they require more than TLCAs. That way somebody doesn't show up and get turned away.

The TLCA BOD has discussed dropping the registration requirement. The only thing brought up was in some states you cannot get insurance without having the vehicle registered. And since the TLCA is trying to make a blanket rule, the registration may stay. I don't know if it will or not. I know that there is vote on this coming up, I think next weekend. If you want to express your concerns contact your TLCA chapter delegate or your Individual Regional Representative.

I'm glad a lot of folks have voiced their opinions and concerns. It is your organization. If you want change you have to be proactive, being reactive is too late.

I'm thinking that the BLM requires all vehicles participating in Cruise Moab to be registered as part of their regulations for Rising Sun to host an event.

Could someone with first-hand knowldege of the MOAB BLM regs please confirm or deny this? I think this is like the insurance issue that some folks seem to fall back on as a fact whithout definite knowledge. I see unregistered highly modified rigs at Moab all the time.

I am not asking for personal advice, but simply responding with questions and concerns regarding the safety requirements as requested by the originator of this thread :D

TLCA Event Inspection Standards Cruise Moab Specific

Email Neil Quigley, Dave Brown, or Jeff Zepp http://risingsun4x4club.org/ They are the folks you need to chat with about their inspections at Cruise Moab.

I think the difference between what you see at Moab in gneral and what you see at Cruise Moab has to do with permits. Going by yourself you do not need to secure permits. The TLCA insurance rider lists Rising Sun and State of Idaho (BLM or something?) as the people in charge of the event. Rising Sun had to have this for the BLM permit. They actually make them have the insurance in place prior to getting the permit. I didn't make this stuff up. I had to deal with it every year as the EVP. I think because of this, CM might have the tightest inspection requirements of any event.

Here is this years correspondance:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Please have "state of Utah, Trust Lands Administration" listed as
> co-insured on the CM-2004 Liability Policy.
>
> We need enough Adult Waivers for about 40 Runs. If the Adult Waiver
> Forms are changed to Individual Waivers, then we would need enough
for
> 200 participants. We also need 40 of the Individual Minor Waiver
> Forms. We were short on the number of Minor Waivers last year.
>
> Please send them to:
>
> CM-2004
> c/o Dave Brown

>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Brown
> Red Fox

They are the folks you need to chat with about their inspections at Cruise Moab

I am sorry, but I thought this was a thread where questions about "TLCA Event Inspection Standards" could be raised, discussed and hopefully answered. Apparently that is not the case, so I will just shut up.

Jack, go the week before the event takes place and run all the trails on your own.

Captain Crunch always runs some kick ass hard core runs at Moab during the event.....yellow Toy truck buggy thing.

My rig passed at CM2002 with a line lock. I just did not make a big deal about activating it and pulling the "not connected to anything" parking brake handle.

I was not exactly honest, but I was willing to assume the responsibility.

Anyway, when you have a BIG Cruiser, Cruise Moab is for hanging with a bunch of cool cruiser folks and Outlawing with others during the day.

They don't even run any of the hard trails other than Pritchett and I assure you, you don't want to be on Pritchett Canyon with 25 Cruisers.

:D

[quote author=Medusa link=board=10;threadid=10401;start=msg98098#msg98098 date=1075761638]
I am sorry, but I thought this was a thread where questions about "TLCA Event Inspection Standards" could be raised, discussed and hopefully answered. Apparently that is not the case, so I will just shut up.
[/quote]

This is the spot to talk about TLCA Standards. The reason I told you to check with the CM people is I know that their standards are higher than TLCA standards due to their BLM permit (and I don't have all the details of the permit but I know this to be a fact). The TLCA standards are the minimum for an event, any chapter can alter them to be more restrictive. I don't want somebody hauling a rig to event some 2000 miles to be denied on the group runs. I had suggested to host chapters that each event list their specific safety standards on a web page prior to registration. I had also suggested that they send the checklist with the registration confirmation letter. That way folks could bail before they got there if they didn't think their rig would make it. And you don't need to shut up. You are asking questions and voicing concerns about your organization. That is your right as a member. The problem I see is that nobody from Cruise Moab has entered the discussion to precisely answer your questions. I will see if I can get Dave Brown to chime in here, or Jeff or Neil.

Please don't get me wrong... all of my Cruisers are registered, so I am not trying to get any requirements relaxed for my personal benefit. I am simply trying to understand the driving forces behind all of the inspection requirements. If BLM requirements are in fact the reason for the CM standards, then those standards are clearly necessary for that event. The question then becomes, "should the Moab standards be the requirements for all of the other sanctioned events". It is not my understanding that the Moab standards are higher -- I thought they currently are all the same. Certainly the vehicle registration requirement is a TLCA-wide requirement, not just for CM.

[quote author=wngrog link=board=10;threadid=10401;start=msg98250#msg98250 date=1075777118]
Jack, go the week before the event takes place and run all the trails on your own.

Captain Crunch always runs some kick ass hard core runs at Moab during the event.....yellow Toy truck buggy thing.

My rig passed at CM2002 with a line lock. I just did not make a big deal about activating it and pulling the "not connected to anything" parking brake handle.

I was not exactly honest, but I was willing to assume the responsibility.

Anyway, when you have a BIG Cruiser, Cruise Moab is for hanging with a bunch of cool cruiser folks and Outlawing with others during the day.

They don't even run any of the hard trails other than Pritchett and I assure you, you don't want to be on Pritchett Canyon with 25 Cruisers.

[/quote]

Absolutely,
Honestly I am not really even considering registering for CM04 because of the trail requirements.
Principally parking brake.
Spare tire I can deal with I guess.
And I have everything else.
I probably am not going to do any of the TLCA runs.
One thing that really bothers me is when a total POS cruiser owner is running tech.
Say the front cage does not even hook up to the rollbar...

But Hanging out at the campground will be fun :D

And Woody Bite me, I told you not to use that D ring..
:flipoff2:

Psst......

Last weekend right???

:flipoff2:

Hey Mace...

yes, successful Board meeting on the 14th, all motions approved including changes to SOPs and by laws, removing line lock restrictions from text and allowing event Safety Chair supreme final say on safety issues.

I don't have the text in front of me but we'll be updating our web site with it and notify event contacts.

Also, acknowledged new Chapter count for quorum purposes and welcomed our newest Chapter, Bluegrass Cruisers.

thank you thank you!

Tony

Sweet..

Figured something out today..

The 15th was the last day to register for CM04..

I spoke to Dave Brown (?????) I think the Red Fox and he said they were probably filled up but I could send in money and hope I get lucky...

:'(