TLC on UsedVictoria thread... (ongoing) (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The idea of owning a German car scares me for some reason; although I'm often attracted to them.

They are without a doubt the most infuriating things to work on. I had a mid 90's diesel Passat for a few years. Mileage was unbelievable, but the annoying little electrical problems just drive you insane.
I've read that they use wire with a higher percentage of copper in it, so it work hardens and cracks sooner, which would explain the door wiring glitches they all seem to get because the wires crack in the hinge area.

For an example of german engineering, that Passat had power locks. A little electric lock solenoid like every other manufacture uses was apparently far too simple for vw.
It had a vacuum pump in the truck. Hit lock button, a whirring noise comes from the trunk and sucks the locks down. All well and good until it got to below zero when the lines would freeze and nothing worked. I drove to work holding the door closed more than once.

Also far too many allen bolts holding them together. Caliper bolts for example, what kind of monster would use one there?

You can imagine how well an allen bolt fares when it's torqued like that and then is down in the salt. I had to weld a bar to one of mine to get it out. :bang:

And that bull**** was with a generally reliable car. Cam probably has a few more stories about his audi...:lol:

I do wish other makers would adopt that feature of being able to roll the windows up or down with the key in the door tho. Awesome when you forget to roll them up, or the car is baking in the august sun and you can roll the windows down before getting in.

They are without a doubt the most infuriating things to work on. I had a mid 90's diesel Passat for a few years. Mileage was unbelievable, but the annoying little electrical problems just drive you insane.
I've read that they use wire with a higher percentage of copper in it, so it work hardens and cracks sooner, which would explain the door wiring glitches they all seem to get because the wires crack in the hinge area.

For an example of german engineering, that Passat had power locks. A little electric lock solenoid like every other manufacture uses was apparently far too simple for vw.
It had a vacuum pump in the truck. Hit lock button, a whirring noise comes from the trunk and sucks the locks down. All well and good until it got to below zero when the lines would freeze and nothing worked. I drove to work holding the door closed more than once.

Also far too many allen bolts holding them together. Caliper bolts for example, what kind of monster would use one there?

You can imagine how well an allen bolt fares when it's torqued like that and then is down in the salt. I had to weld a bar to one of mine to get it out. :bang:

And that bulls*** was with a generally reliable car. Cam probably has a few more stories about his audi...:lol:

I do wish other makers would adopt that feature of being able to roll the windows up or down with the key in the door tho. Awesome when you forget to roll them up, or the car is baking in the august sun and you can roll the windows down before getting in.

You're confirming my worst fears! I've always had the perception German engineering is over complicated, and it seems I'm right. The Japanese (Toyota mainly) on the other hand excel in keeping thing simple and efficient for the most part. It's like they take the German's new ideas and make them affordable, reliable and efficient. If they were in the same company, the German's would be doing the R&D, and the Japanese would be doing Design for Manufacturability (DFM).

You're confirming my worst fears! I've always had the perception German engineering is over complicated, and it seems I'm right. The Japanese (Toyota mainly) on the other hand excel in keeping thing simple and efficient for the most part. It's like they take the German's new ideas and make them affordable, reliable and efficient. If they were in the same company, the German's would be doing the R&D, and the Japanese would be doing Design for Manufacturability (DFM).
Don’t forget though, that $75K German Autobahn cruiser is $8K 15 yrs later and the Japanese
are over holding their value. So it’s not just perception. Also, unfortunately people let little things
slide until it’s a list of little things that isn’t so little to fix.

BJ42.jpg

Original paint apparently. Impressive.

Sooo...:bang:

Just attempted to do the glow plugs on my dads 300td. Turns out it's a straight 6.

OM603 we think...but I gave up on the glow plugs.

I could barely get a socket on ANY of the 6. Universals, extensions, magnets and mirrors I managed to get 2 changed, then said **** this, I'm likely to get one out and not be able to get it back in.

****ing nightmare. I suspect to do it the whole intake has to come off, and I wasn't about to do that, considering the cheap prick only brought an 8 pack of budweiser. :lol:

Sooo...:bang:

Just attempted to do the glow plugs on my dads 300td. Turns out it's a straight 6.

OM603 we think...but I gave up on the glow plugs.

I could barely get a socket on ANY of the 6. Universals, extensions, magnets and mirrors I managed to get 2 changed, then said f*** this, I'm likely to get one out and not be able to get it back in.

f***ing nightmare. I suspect to do it the whole intake has to come off, and I wasn't about to do that, considering the cheap prick only brought an 8 pack of budweiser. :lol:

That sounds about as bad as doing spark plugs on a domestic transverse V6 motor! Sort of thing you have to put 1/2 a day aside for (and a lot of beer).

One thing I've found amusing is that OM617 LJ78 on the island seems to come up for sale pretty regularly. Wondering if maybe that motor is not all it's cracked up to be for that vehicle.... Sure the 2LTE isn't the best, but it is pretty easy to work on, haha.

That sounds about as bad as doing spark plugs on a domestic transverse V6 motor! Sort of thing you have to put 1/2 a day aside for (and a lot of beer).

One thing I've found amusing is that OM617 LJ78 on the island seems to come up for sale pretty regularly. Wondering if maybe that motor is not all it's cracked up to be for that vehicle.... Sure the 2LTE isn't the best, but it is pretty easy to work on, haha.
I think it might just be better suited to cars.

I sometimes think about a little 2wd Tacoma for a DD, but really wouldn't be gaining much as far as mileage goes putting a diesel in one.

I just don't like gas...:lol:

Not that I need any more vehicles. I'm approaching " ****it, drive the 61 into the ground"
rather than LHD swap.

Although a cheap 80 might tempt me to drop 12ht into.

So the main bed on that thing is from converting the table in the front? How wide
would that bed be at the other end? Trying to figure out the bed situation. So the bed at the
rear could be left set up. With the kid bed above it?

i looked a lot longer at it. Figured that out I think. It’s pretty cool for the price.

SOLD

Last edited:
So the main bed on that thing is from converting the table in the front? How wide
would that bed be at the other end? Trying to figure out the bed situation. So the bed at the
rear could be left set up. With the kid bed above it?

i looked a lot longer at it. Figured that out I think. It’s pretty cool for the price.

SOLD

That price was about a half or a third of what it is worth - not a surprise it went so fast. Small campers that sleep 5 are pretty rare. That one had a queen, double and a bunk. Good for families who want something in between tenting and massive RV's. Still useful room for a single or couple though. Big fridge and three burner stove are a plus.

So how does this compare to price vs value? These seem to be highly regarded, and it
is lighter than I would have thought.

Cool utility trailer! Decent price

Facebook market place...
7B5007D2-16A2-43DE-9E24-816EA7DDA99B.png

Not a TLC but $200 a year for insurance... I’m not a VW fan... lost my L knee to one (More it’s driver)... but that doesn’t mean a Titus is

1E6A8B25-7999-46FE-8213-39CD2272BAB5.jpeg

In case anyone needs smaller 16s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom