TJM 2.5" Lift Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

13,000 Mile Update

An update if i may. The GX has been sounding like an old ford lately - lots of squeaks and groans from the front end. At 1st, i thought the ball joints were toast. But closer inspection showed shards of rubber coming out of the strut mount at the lower control arms (both side). I sprayed some white lithium grease in the area to see if the grease might help quiet things. It didhelp so i was relieved to know ball joints were not the culprit.
20160423_104945.jpg

It's unrelated, but I had seen on the 80 series forum that iron man and TJM caster correction bushings were not lasting very long compared to OEM Toyota bushings. I then had the hunch that maybe the bushings in my TJM struts are made from the same type of compound. The struts still ride fine so i didn't want to replace them - just the bushings. I was surprised to find toyota sells the bushings individually so i bought two of these bad boys and hoped they'd fit in the TJM struts.

20160423_125837.jpg

my harbor freight 12 ton press and a 30mm socket made it easy to R&R the bushings. The outside diameter of the OEM bushings measured about same as the TJM bushings. Though slightly oversize by about 0.015". There was no drama when pushing the OEM's in to the strut. You can see the wear on the bottom of the strut where it was grinding against the lower control arm and causing the noises :eek:

20160423_113357.jpg

20160423_122101.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new!

20160423_123249.jpg

Final result - GX is sexy again. No more Ford sounds :hillbilly:

How have the new bushings held up since you replaced them? I like the TJM lift as I had their setup on my 80. Everything still looking good?

How have the new bushings held up since you replaced them? I like the TJM lift as I had their setup on my 80. Everything still looking good?

Yup, all is good. I checked them this weekend while doing an oil change and Mr T's bushings are holding up well.

OP what size tires you running with this suspension set up?

sorry for the late reply, 265/70/17 is what we have on currently. I will probably go with 255/80 or 85 next time.

FWIW, I installed the same kit with the HD springs in the back and I am running 295/70/17. I had to so some mods to get the fronts to not rub but it works well now. Also, TJM must have addressed the front strut bushing issue as mine had rubber bushings and are holding up fine.

Everyone still happy witheir TJM setup, just purchached a 2006 with 90k miles and want to get rid of the air ride.

Everyone still happy witheir TJM setup, just purchached a 2006 with 90k miles and want to get rid of the air ride.
still doing fine after almost 4 years. of course, it's a mommy mobile so i can't say i've truly tested it offroad.

Mine are fine after two years of beating on them, running mediums with way to much weight on them and
255/80’s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom