TJM 2.5" Lift Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, just wanted to document the TJM lift going into our GX470. I don't see much info on this kit online so maybe this will help someone in the future. My wife's GX is at 100k miles and lately she's been complaining that its too bouncy. I've noticed the rear has been on the bump stops at start up and the compressor seems to be working almost constantly. I knew i'd have to address the rear suspension at some point and made my mind up a long time ago that a lift kit would be a better and cheaper solution than Lexus parts. I was pleased to see "Prado 120" on much of the packaging. There is more to come - the coil conversion kit from Metal Tech arrives tomorrow!
20141022_192312.jpg
20141022_192329.jpg
20141022_192312.jpg
20141022_192329.jpg
20141022_192337.jpg
20141022_192358.jpg
20141022_192435.jpg

Nice start to your build! My coil conversion is coming in tmrw as well from Metaltech lol

Do you mind me asking where you got the TJM kit from? Why TJM over OME? Thanks for posting this, I am excited to see how the install goes and how you rate the ride. Thanks in advance.

i got the kit from Slee. it's advertised as a lift kit for the FJ Cruiser and 4runner. its currently on sale for $624. wait, isnt that the price for one rear airbag from lexus :grinpimp: ?

anyway, while doing my research on lift kits i browsed thru a lot of posts on FJC and 4runner lifts. i kept coming across feedback that the OME kit yields a harsh ride. also, i have TJM coils on the front of my FZJ80 and i think they ride great and have held up well after a year of use. the quality seems good too. there's lots of positive feedback on TJM kits in the 80 series forum so i'm hopeful for similar results with our GX.

i was really set on getting the bistein 5100 shocks and the toytec super flex coils but the sale price on the tjm kit was too hard to pass up.

Alright, that settles it. If Slee still has the kit available I am going to buy one. Thanks, did they try and talk you out of buying it for the GX?

nope, they didnt try to talk me out of it. i think i spoke with Amory. i asked if they would recommend it for the GX and he said it should work but that he's never installed the kit on a GX before. he even checked a database of installs they did at thier shop but found none. i ordered on monday and he said they had a couple kits in stock.

If it fits the FJ or 4R from the same year it will fit fine. I am running an Iron Man kit that is spec'd for the FJ/4R and it is great.

I got the rear coil conversion kit from Metal Tech on Friday. Comes with top and bottom spring isolators, lower spring retainers/perches (not sure what to call them), hardware and some copper wire.
20141025_082219.jpg
20141025_082236.jpg
20141025_082301.jpg

Rear Conversion and Lift Install
20141025_165416.jpg
20141025_170139.jpg
20141025_165432.jpg

rear conversion was pretty straight forward. Just rip out the old air bags, shocks, compressor, height sensors and harnesses. The Metal Tech kit installs easily.

Front Lift Install

The install of the front components was not as easy as the rear. There is a lot of bracketry and plugs to disconnect. Also, i used the no spring compressor method which required the help of a 2nd person - basically to move the lower control arms down while i wrestle the shocks and springs into place. i was surprised that the TJM shocks are height adjustable. They supplied some extra spacers to adjust the height - see the silver ring below the perch?
20141026_090452.jpg
20141025_102408.jpg
20141025_103108.jpg

Before and After

Before pic is at the bottom. My driveway is canted a bit so the driver side measurements seem a bit skewed:

Before (Center of hub to fender flare)
Front DS = 19.5"
Front PS = 19.75"
Rear DS = 20"
Rear PS = 22"

After
Front DS = 21.75"
Front PS = 22"
Rear DS = 23"
Rear PS = 23.25"

20141027_184153.jpg
20141027_184249.jpg
20141027_184303.jpg
20141025_082342.jpg

I must say it rides awesome, feels like the sport setting went up another notch. It's not truck like at all but feels nice and firm. Most importantly, the wife is happy!

Last edited:
looking good! i just did the exact same thing for the rear this weekend! didnt realize what that copper wire was for, a long screwdriver and mallet removed those retainer clips just as easily

Do you know if the TJM springs are constant rate or progressive?

I used progressive rate springs on my 80 and the difference was incredible. When the time comes, I'd prefer to do the same on the GX.

i doubt they are progressive springs but they're definitely an upgrade from stock. the TJM site doesn't give much info - I will check the descriptions on the boxes to see if there is more info.

I'm pretty sure they're constant, the only progressive spring out there right now is the Icon expedition series spring and the Metaltech long travel ones that come with their rear long travel kit

Thanks for the responses! I'll keep following this topic to hear how the TJM does over time - no doubt a huge upgrade over stock, they make great stuff! @mercedeezel your GX looks great with the lift and tires. :)

Mercedeezel - How do you like the conversion now that you have had it for a year or so? I am getting to the point of needing to replace my rear system (142K). I like the stance of yours and think it might be a better choice than the current set up that Metaltech has offered for the standard height replacement which is $900 or so.

any feed back would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mercedeezel - How do you like the conversion now that you have had it for a year or so? I am getting to the point of needing to replace my rear system (142K). I like the stance of yours and think it might be a better choice than the current set up that Metaltech has offered for the standard height replacement which is $900 or so.

any feed back would be great.

Thanks in advance.

hey, no complaints after a year. I did notice a few weeks back (when adding some ATF fluid) that the bushings where the strut attaches to the lower control arm look to be ripping. Nothing too major IMO - but i see some shards of rubber hanging from the mount. i'll see if i can snap some pics tonight when i get home. The ride is still "sporty" and the wife hasn't complained so i'm happy.

i noticed these guys are selling an Iron man kit for a pretty nice price ($640). Ironman 4x4 2" Lift Kit - FJ Cruiser - Lift Kits - Suspension
i bought a set of iron man front springs from them for my 80 so i know they are legit outfit. no affiliation, i just read you were trying to stay somewhat stock for which i think these would work and the price is sweet. good luck with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom