Tire size difference--what's significant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nashvillesdead.com
Hello, all. I know that in various capacities, this question has been asked, but I can't find a definitive answer yet. I have searched for the better part of three hours and haven't found a conclusive answer.

After a long series of events, I damaged my front-right tire and wheel and had to replace the set. I did so with the stock 16" alloy and a new Nitto Terra Grapper (285/75/16) to match the other ones which I have on the 80. As a result, I am worrying about the potential impact of the viscous coupling if I continue to run and use as my DD, which I am doing at the moment.

The tread on the new one (with a tire depth gage) is 11 mm on the used tires, and about 13 mm on the new tire. Is 2 mm going to be impactful to the driveline over time? I've heard some examples of how it is important to have a negligible or non-existent difference, but I'm not sure of what the threshold or tolerance is for the 80's full-time 4WD system.

I have heard of the possiblity of a race shop shaving down my tire, but I'm not sure if that's feasible with large offroad tires with non-slick tread profiles.

Thanks in advance for your patience; please advise.

V/r,

Jamie

No problem at all. I've got a bigger difference than that on my well worn BFG's...

2mm is negligible, a slight difference in air pressure could net a 2mm difference. In a revs per mile, 2mm might be 1/2 a rev. The viscous coupler is not that sensitive.

No worries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom