Tire nightmare (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks. Happy Saturday night, where else would you rather be than on MUD!
Ive finished my overland build of an 01 f350 flatbed with a 4wc hawk on the back and a coil converted front end. If I cant have a toyota diesel, im taking the famous 7.3.
Anyway, the truck is pretty heavy and Im running 39" BFG ATs like I do on all my landcruisers. They are totally fine but the max weight on them is 3200lb. Im looking to find a tire at LEAST 40" in diameter (the gearing and case were built for that) and has a rating that is higher than that. The closer to 4000 the better.
Now here is where I can maybe lend some knowledge. There is a giant black hole in manufactures inventory on anything 40" or over in this weight rating. Ive looked at all my options down to converting axles which I dont want to do The only option I can come up with is "gulp" super swampers. Believe it or not, they have some bigger tires that have decent weight ratings for anyone building up a heavy overland rig that needs some size in their tires for snow/sand flotation. I will be towing my bj42 Ive named Butters with me on the majority of my trips so whatever I cant wheel in the camper, I can get out with the Cruiser.
Anyway, hope I could contribute a bit even though I know lots of Toyotas arent near that heavy. Though you can be surprised if youre loading up enough fuel and water to be away for a few weeks/months.
Stay safe and keep the shiny side up.

I'm no tire expert but for those sizes and weight ratings I think you'll need to look into commercial or military tires.

Only thing that comes to mind is a BFG HD Terrain, but from what I can find those only go up to 37s. I think you're going to struggle to find something that big that is built to haul a lot of weight. Most 40in tires are going to be built for dedicated crawlers that don't weigh all that much. Do you know the weight of your rig? 3200lb tires get you to 12,800lbs GVWR

Here’s an option.

But you’re going to have to run a bigger wheel.

F4E462B5-0D29-4588-9D12-5D7DC4291CAB.jpeg

Michelin 9.00x20 xzl, 11.00x20 xzl, 14.00x20 xzl or metric equivalents.

Mark...

I saw a huge AEV Prospector XL with a big camper bed setup in person...they run 41" Interco Irok's. Big ass truck, big ass motor, all decked out with winch, bumpers, etc...the owner said the tires were great.

41x14.5x17 are rated for 3850 lbs

Toyo MT 40x15.5r20 is rated at 4190.
Nitto trail in the same size is rated 3970.

Options for all terrains that size are pretty slim and you might need to look at 20” wheels, but there are options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom