Tire Input - 315s/35s for my turbo'd almost DD'd 80 that sees snow/winter! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time to make a decision on tires for my 80. Its driven year round in conditions from Moab to Skiing baker. Truck is in great shape and has a turbo, so not too concerned with weight of tire A vs B.
I've been back and forth on tires for months and with an upcoming camping trip need to pull the trigger on something.

Contenders in order of consideration:
Cooper S/T Maxx
Toyo A/T III
Goodyear Duratrac's (concerns about sidewall).
Nitto Trail Grappler

Going to a "35" depending if i stay 16s or buy some 17s either way.
Coopers are by far the most expensive but seem like the best do it all - but concerned about them on snowy/icy roads.

Use - Lots of highway, lots of fireroad, no insane wheeling but some good trail use/bushwhackin/moderate trails.
Additionally we live in the PNW, we get snow. I ski a lot, so again has to not suck on snow/ice/winter road conditions.
The do it all tire doesn't exist and i understand that i will have to compromise to an extent one way or another.

The Toyo's currently have a buy 3 get the 4th free deal, which is making it a strong contender, along with the winter snowflake rating.
The S/T maxx keeps drawing me in since i've heard so many good things about them. Also the most expensive.
The duratracs are only on the list due to winter ratings/reviews. I'd probably be paranoid about the sidewall constantly.

Looking for any real world input or why haven't you considered ____ comments.
Help me spend money!
Need tires by end of next week since i'm driving out to Utah.
Appreciate any input.

I ran Bridgestone revo2s for a long time on my 00 4R. I thought they were a really good all around.
Otherwise I would have to push Cooper

I ran a set of Duratracs in 315/75/R16 for the last 70k miles and just bought a set of Cooper ST MAXX in the same size. The Duratracs did very very well in snow in my opinion. I didn't buy them again because I live in the SW now and am more likely to encounter sharp rocks than snow, and I also just wanted to try something different. I wheeled pretty hard with the Duratracs and never had any issues with the sidewall, except for one incident in a parking lot where I ripped one of the sidewalls out on a piece of rebar. But never had any issues offroad. There are definitely tires with much stronger sidewalls, but plenty of people run Duratracs with no issues. Just my 2cents.

I have liked the ST MAXX so far, but haven't really thoroughly tested them out yet, and not at all in snow. They were much quieter than the Duratracs that came off, but I don't think any quieter than the Duratracs when they were new. I hope they wear slightly more evenly than the Duratracs did. I think the ST MAXX tread is slightly more aggressive than the Duratrac with regards to lug spacing.

I also ski so snow performance is important to me as well. I don't expect the ST MAXX to do as well as the Duratrac, but I think they will do well enough.

I ran a set of Duratracs in 315/75/R16 for the last 70k miles and just bought a set of Cooper ST MAXX in the same size. The Duratracs did very very well in snow in my opinion. I didn't buy them again because I live in the SW now and am more likely to encounter sharp rocks than snow, and I also just wanted to try something different. I wheeled pretty hard with the Duratracs and never had any issues with the sidewall, except for one incident in a parking lot where I ripped one of the sidewalls out on a piece of rebar. But never had any issues offroad. There are definitely tires with much stronger sidewalls, but plenty of people run Duratracs with no issues. Just my 2cents.

I have liked the ST MAXX so far, but haven't really thoroughly tested them out yet, and not at all in snow. They were much quieter than the Duratracs that came off, but I don't think any quieter than the Duratracs when they were new. I hope they wear slightly more evenly than the Duratracs did. I think the ST MAXX tread is slightly more aggressive than the Duratrac with regards to lug spacing.

I also ski so snow performance is important to me as well. I don't expect the ST MAXX to do as well as the Duratrac, but I think they will do well enough.
Thanks for the input!
I think at this point i'm deciding on toyo ATIII vs ST Maxx. I hear so many mixed reviews on the duractracs and know myself to nail the odd log end on trails often on long days of wheeling, so have kinda decided against it.
I'm really trying to get good intel on the ST maxx in the snow, otherwise going to pull the trigger on the Toyos. Don't think i can go wrong with either.

I know this issue has been brought up before but I can't find it in mud I have a 2000 Land cruiser That I wanna put 3 15 75 16 mud tires on by Toyo I have a 2 and a half inch lift what size spacers do I need thanks

You should really post this in the 100 series forum, but they will probably tell you to search. Try going on Google and typing in something like "100 series wheel spacers 315/75/R16 site:forum.ih8mud.com", that generally yields much better results than using the Mud search.

I know this issue has been brought up before but I can't find it in mud I have a 2000 Land cruiser That I wanna put 3 15 75 16 mud tires on by Toyo I have a 2 and a half inch lift what size spacers do I need thanks

Thanks I'll try. I have issues trying to figure out how to use this site
Under the forums tab there are vehicle specific sections. 40, 60, 70, 80, 100, 200, etc.
Most info pertaining to specific models will fall into those.
The other general sections get a lot less traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom