Tire carrier project and question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After smacking and bending my bumper mounted tire carrier on trees, rocks, and ledges too many times and having limited visibility out the back, I started a bed-mounted carrier project. It should be much better on the trail. It does take up a lot of interior space, but seems to be worth the trade off.

The last thing I need to figure out is how to hold the tire in the UP position. I tried some 1x1 kick-stand style props to hold it up which works well but limits access to the ammo case that the stand rests on. This works well on level ground but would not be a good solution on the trail when the truck is off camber as the weight of the tire would migrate downhill. It's very heavy and would be dangerous if it were to fall down from the open position. The red cinch strap in one of the pictures actually worked pretty well at hoisting it up and down as well as holding it in place. Might work but I need to find better and more heavy duty straps.

Any ideas on good heavy duty straps out there? Also, any other ideas on how to hold the carrier in the up position would be appreciated. Some kind of self latching device that would lock into place when the carrier was pushed up into position.

Thanks for thoughts and input.

Randy
TC1.jpg
TC3.jpg
TC5.jpg

hook

cool set up!

how bout a hook or hasp on a chain or stap. hook it to the roll bar. is the top off most of the time? put a magnet on the hook or hasp so as not to rattle.

what if you had the same setup on your rollbar as you do when its in the down position? you would have to make some sort of small extension so it would reach, but it would be pretty solid.

Randy,

That looks great, nice job.

I've been thinking of custom tire mounts myself. I want to have a custom cage built and was thinking of putting the tire vertically over the passenger side wheel well and have the mount tie into the roll cage design.

As for the hook, you could wield another piece of 1" box straight up 90° on the drivers side long enough to reach the roll cage when the tire is in the up position and fab up another pin and catch just like the one used in the down position.

Post pics of whatever you come up with, again, nice job.

I think Mathblasster and I have the same idea, just different ways of describing it. Sorry, Mathhblaster, I didn't mean to steal your idea, great minds think alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom